Ancient wall hey?
Trip Start Apr 29, 2006
70Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
If there's one thing that can significantly redeem any town, it's, of course, an ancient city wall
The fucking cool ancient city wall aside, my other lasting impression of Dubrovnik will be this small photographic exhibition of the city on fire - burning during the mid 90's siege of the city by the Yugoslavs - the more than 3000 buildings damaged marked on maps affixed throughout the town. It's quite haunting to imagine tanks perched at the top of Srd Hill immediately overlooking the city, relentlessly shelling; relentlessly destroying amazing, historic monuments. The 10 year transformation that has taken place is quite phenomenal - all buildings repaired, touts trying to lure you into their overpriced establishments, Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones in town - like the war never happened. Haunting, perhaps, to see what has become...
Accommodation woes in Dubrovnik
There's a certain feeling upon leaving Dubrovnik - like I've done it and have no desire to be here anymore. I'm very much looking forward to getting to Sarajevo. I will miss the beaches however, their refreshingly cold water the perfect way to cure the effects of the oppressive summer heat. The heat is terrible - I have to wear shorts. I never wear shorts. Shorts? Killing me.
So, to the Top 5. The combination of expensive Dubrovnik food prices, which has prevented me from eating anything remotely decent, and a general missing of homely, familiar foods has had me craving
5. Chips. Proper chips. Not french fries. Chips. With vinegar.
4. Combination Meat - barbecued pork, roast pork, duck - chinese style. Oh how I miss you...
3. Rice - I could probably cook it, but I forgot my rice cooker.
2. Lamb Chops - good old fucking aussie lamb chops. Hopefully the muslim east will assist...
1. Pork buns - I don't normally eat them, but some good old yum cha chasiu bao would be fucking awesome. From welcome inn...
Sarajevo it is...