Heading homeward for holidays...

Trip Start Feb 28, 2006
Trip End Aug 20, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , Scotland,
Friday, July 11, 2008

Ah, arriving back home after all those flights was so nice, with Mum and Dad waiting patiently for me at the airport. Surprisingly travelling through Terminal 5 at Heathrow wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, although it was far from a slick operation. The transit area itself isn't bad, and I managed to find myself a bar to relax in - probably not the most healthy of breakfasts, but I hand a hankering for a beer after all the hours sitting in a plane so with Daily Record in hand I settled myself at the bar and grabbed an ice cold Corona.

4 hours seemed like a long time but I'm glad to say that it wasn't that bad, and once on the plane, I even manged to get some more sleep so when I arrived with Mum and Dad I was actually quite awake.

Even more amazingly my bag appeared off the carousel as we were waiting - I near passed out with the shock... Time to load up the car and head home. Spencer had of course been taken out to the airport as well, and he went mad when he saw me, as usual - something to do with similar intellects I'm sure!

The first weekend back home was all about celebrating Mum's 60th Birthday. Dad and I had already put some plans in place and we enjoyed a lovely day out at Glentanar on the Saturday with Spencer, lots of walking around the place while he searched high and low for any water to jump into. In the evening we headed to The Atlantis restaurant at the Mariner Hotel, just along from the house. Kathleen and Seumas joined us and we have a lovely night.

Monday in Aberdeen was a holiday so Dad and I headed to the golf course for a game of 9 holes. Poor Dad was having an off day, and for I think the first time, I actually beat him (final score I think was 4 holes to me, 5 holes drawn... Oops!) Lots of fun though and a beautiful day, meaning we were even able to have a BBQ in the evening together before Dad and I headed out for some beers in town.

The rest of the week was spent relaxing with Mum and Spencer - lots of long walks with far too much good home cooked food and nights out as well as the requisite alcohol to go with it... Thursday night saw me out at the pub with a few of the boys to have a wee catch up - very well-behaved and home before 12pm - who'd've thought, eh?

Friday came around really quickly, and Dad and I headed down to Edinburgh for the night to help my cousin Ralph celebrate his Stag Night. We had a great time, with Dad and I pub crawling to the restaurant, all of us having a fantastic meal, then moving on to the casino for the rest of the evening, where we enjoyed copious amounts of alcohol and I had a pretty successful evening, walking out with 1100 pounds in 100 pound notes... Luckily Dad didn't start reminding me of monies owed, otherwise it might well be all gone again!

We'd taken the train down and stayed at the Hilton Grovesnor which was fantastic, although the journey back up to Aberdeen was a bit painful with hangovers - Dad deciding to sleep the whole way, I ate sandwiches and read my book! We made it back up safe and sound and had Mum picking us up from the station.

A few hours sleep and then a nice meal then it was time for me to head out to the airport again... Not for myself this time, but to pick up Sophie, who was flying in from Perth to spend firstly a week with me, then a week with friends in England and Wales and then finally a week in the Netherlands with her family there... The flight was early (unheard of!) but I'd checked that out and was in plenty of time to be there to meet her and get her home safe and sound.

It was pretty late by the time we got back to the house, with just enough time to have a cuppa with Mum and Dad before calling it a night.

Sophie seemed mostly unaffected by jetlag the next morning, so we got ourselves going after a lovely big breakfast and made our way to Duncan and Kath's house to have lunch with them, wee Fox and Mikie & Clare. lots of fun catching up with them and sharing stories. We excused ourselves mid afternoon and all (Mum, Dad, Spencer Sophie and me) headed for a wee tour around Aberdeen, first stop a very, very wind-swept beach! Aside from the icy wind, it was a beautiful day and we all had fun (especially Spencer!) getting some exercise. A drive around the city centre and then we were off for an evening meal (see - it's all eating and drinking!) to the Royal Thai.

More beautiful food and then a night cap on the way home (well, several nightcaps but never mind!) and then it was time for a good nightts sleep before heading off to Edinburgh for a few days!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: