Saved... to Stockhölm

Trip Start Jul 01, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sweden  ,
Tuesday, July 25, 2006

July 25

Lazy morning after such a great comfy sleep... after some preparation, Maria walked with us to the crossroad that bring us with local road to Jonkoping. Of course local road with scarce traffic isnt best but we stood there at the warm sun and wait. Its been long but its finally a young silent guy you picked us till the next village after obviously took us on pity and driven back to pick us.

There we waited less long until a weird women came to yell us thing which was simply meaning that we should stand a bit further.. at the same time there was a pick up stopped further and we ran to it. The guy was simply stopped to make a phone call but finally took us to Jonkoping and it appeared that he was Finns :)

In Jonkoping at a tank station along the highway, the place was crap, local traffic, wrong direction, full car of german tourists or people unwilling to take us... we spend most of the afternoon there burning at a above 30 degree hot sun... Having enough and Laura losing nerve I decided that we should walk further and find somewhere else. We did following the highway, one best thing is that we found a supermarket on the way and refilled our goods! Then while walking and simply holding the sign aside a car stopped with people willing to bring us somewhere and it happened that at first he was going to bring us back to our first spot but after telling them they brought us at the end of the city. They were a nice immigrated couple who was happy to help us it was really nice although that at first the on ramp was pretty dead and we were still under the sun burning and I was really burning... after a while and few scarce car unwilling to pick us I got tempt to HH on the highway itself and its while I was walking alone there since Laura really had enough then and wasnt doing a thing that a car stopped with a swedish worker who didnt really talk english but took us further to Granna.

There it repeated again, hot sun, no car and all full family car.... enough is enough we walked all the on ramp and stand near the highway but still at secure spot on the on ramp looking either at the highway traffic (which I was paying most attention) and Laura at the coming traffic from the on-ramp. Finally we didnt wait hugely long before that a truck at full speed honk and put full break to stop on the acceleration way... First reflex was, is he? is he? yes he does, grab my bag yelled at Laura and ran like hell to the truck!

Really a saviour... after having spent more than 6 hours doing only 40km it appeared that Christoph the driver was a Belgian driver and going all the way to Stockholm which he would make in about 4-5h drive! He offered us drink and so and when it happened we could chat in french we did so all the way and Laura took the opportunity to sleep. I talked about everything and our young driver was really open to do as well and really both glad of it :) Taking some pictures on the way and stopping half way for a break in a tank station where next to the truck there was other truck and well... a car with a couple having some fellatio... which we saw well when driving away. lol

Then at the approach of Stockholm, our driver couldnt get to the city but Peter was coming to pick us but it happened that we missed the exit and entirely missed Stockholm!!! So we got out in the next city at a roundabout and Peter did the way to there which wasnt too far hopefully and he arrived with Olla whom it was great to see them both again.

Back in Stockholm, arriving and hugging Maria who had prepare a great pasta salad meal that we ate on the roof of the building enjoying the weather and having some drinks till late night. Then some more talks and preparing to sleep. That was welcome!

July 26

Another great welcomed sleep which extended late in this wonderful top floor appartment in the center of Stockholm northern part. We woke up, showered, breakfast and finally by noon time as Peter had suggested we prepared to leave to go to the beach on a northern island fjord nearby Stockholm. We left with Maria's brother and drove there and at last enjoyed some sea-side and sun. Talked and some friends of Peter also came along with their young family. So its been a lazy sun-bathing day with some swim in the fresh fjord water and at last getting some tan.

Peter also paid us some lunch while being there, fries and ice cream and the day was great. Later I finally noticed that I managed to get a tan on my white chest and that my hair were slightly taking back their natural blond colour, which I hadnt seen since my late teen age. We tried to swim more or do some more activities but mainly Peter's back wasnt in shape and seemed to hurt much...

Finally back in Stockholm later, we ordered pizza that we ate on the roof again with great hunger. Later, me and Laura left to have a short walk downtown by the sunset and reached the royal castle area and the shopping area as well. Finally we mainly looked to get ferry information and located the office which was of course closed, but at least we knew the opening hours and its location.

Back at the appartment, we shortly direct ourselves to sleep trying to not wake up the dog and make noise... which failed from the frightened dog seeing us. :D

July 27

The wake up has been all fine again and we get ourself ready to go downtown for the day and trying to be back to help for the party meal that was organised on the roof by the evening. We walked downtown again with this cold mood as were yesterday between me and Laura as she was obviously somewhat bored, tired and not in the mood anymore. So its been silent all the way not even caring that I existed so finally I stopped bothering about it. We had a short argument about silly thing, but well its life when travelling with a stranger for so much days.

We walked downtown and I still tried to bring her to the older part I knew even if I had the impression she didnt care. Finally, she asked to go to the Nobel Museum which she did and I simply went away to do some photos and relax by the waterside. I could easily afford the moment alone!

On the way back we stopped at the ferry office to get our ferry ticket for the next day. Our ferry was leaving at 8am and we needed to be there an hour in advance so we were going to wake up hell of early, but well. Maybe the party would hold us awake all night?

We also stopped by the grocery store to get some food to not have to starve during the long 12h ferry crossing ride. I was fearing we would be sooo hungry that I spent my last remaining (really nothing) kronas and with Laura we got some goods.

We walked back to Maria and arrived a bit later to help much but still tried to do as best, bringing thing outside and on my case making a dressing for the salad.
The the people started to come and I noticed a guy I had seen before... it was a friend of Peter that I had obviously seen last year but couldnt spot when and in what occasion, but he was canadian and I found it cool to talk a bit with him (Allan).
There was also a dutch HC member with his Swedes host who came over and we all enjoyed the food, chat, dessert and drinks till late dusk.

Finally when everyone starts leaving I use my chance to help with the dishes and we finally sat on the front balcony having a drink till really late by night, until Ola left and that Maria decided to go to sleep. So it was nearly 3am when we hit the sack.

(July 28)
A short night but I woke up luckely easily and early enough to eat, shower and prepare myself to leave to walk to a bus that would bring us... but remembering we didnt have kronas anymore!! Not willing to miss the bus we jumped on it anyway as the driver was driving away anyway but finally kicked us off as we couldnt pay the whole tariff few stops later where there was a metro station. So finally we needed to withdraw swedish money just for this ride and catch the metro on the good direction to catch another bus. Laura was hell of stress of missing the boat and couldnt cope much but we went all good and at the exit of the metro, a guy approached me seeing my flag and gave us advice. As he was going to the boat too we followed him and everything was cool and easy. He appeared to be a finnish-israelian-swedes who also travel often and was crossing at the moment to visit family. I didnt see him anymore on the boat but Laura did.

The checkin-in and we were boarding this huge Viking Line boat and departing.. to Finland!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: