Monday 4 August

Trip Start Apr 13, 2008
Trip End Oct 27, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Montana
Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Monday 4th August
This was the day we went to Glacier National Park.
We arrived mid morning but didn't hold out much hope of getting up "The Road to the Sun" which goes through the middle of the park. This road is very famous as it winds its way up through the mountains up to Logan's Pass at around 9000 feet. The road is only open 2 months of the year, depending on the weather. This year it didn't open until July 4th and they will close it again in early September.
We were told that we could not take our RV up the road to Logan Pass and so we felt a bit disappointed
We sat by the lake and pondered on our options.  We nearly took a boat across the lake for a bit of excitement but decided to go to the visitors centre first. Thank goodness we did because it was there that we discovered that there was a free shuttle service to take people to Logan pass which ran every thirty minutes or so.
We ran back to the RV and raced around to the bus transit area and managed to immediately get on the shuttle.  This journey takes about an hour to the top, because it is actually a very narrow, windy road but also because it is clogged with cars too. They are doing major road works on the way up which caused huge disruptions and long queues of cars waiting for 15 minutes at a time to pass in the narrowest of spots.
We got up there eventually and climbed up from the car park which was heaving, to the visitors centre. We got the kids doing their JR programmes and then we listened to a Park ranger talking about the park and in particular the glaciers which are melting at an alarming rate. They are doing many studies on the impact of the melting ice on the flora and fauna in the park.  It was very interesting.
We then took the 3 mile trek further up the mountain on a board walk to a place called "Hidden Lake". At the time Holly had a pair of flip flops/Jandals on, I had a pair of croc sandals on. Steve was wearing traditional crocs and Zach had a pair of rubber shoes on with holes in for wearing at the beach. As it was still really hot up here and green we didn't think much more about the journey. After a while we came across snow but it wasn't very much although as we got higher there was even more snow covering the boardwalk until we couldn't see it for snow.  So there we were walking in the snow in jandals etc slipping and sliding with freezing cold toes!!! We must have looked very silly but we weren't the only ones.
The view from the lookout at the top was magnificent, just like something you might see from the top of an Austrian Mountain top.  We even had mountain goats for company.
As you can imagine, coming down again was even harder, and Holly eventually ended up on her bottom!  We got back safe and sound at about 6.30 just in time to get one of the last shuttles back down the mountain to the car park.
All the campsites in the National Park were full by the time we got down at 8pm. We had to leave the park which wasn't a major.  Our shuttle driver had recommended a place to have good food down the road in a place called Corum, about 5 miles from West Glacier.  We were so tired that cooking was not on the agenda and we still had the problem of finding a spot to stop over night.
We ended up at the recommended grill and had an enormous delicious pizza between the 4 of us and a few beers. We got talking to the waitress who was looking after us and enquired about the possibility of parking in their car park over night..... if we promised to come and have breakfast the following morning!
She thought that would not be a problem but she also offered us the opportunity to go and park on her property down the road where it might be quieter.   
That sounded more attractive than the car park and so we took up her offer.  Before we knew it, her husband, Kelly arrived in his truck to escort us down the road to their house and we were settled on the grass outside their house which is on 4 acres of land.  Without asking Kelly had pulled up a power cord and we were hooked up for the night!  How nice is that?!
They had a daughter called Kendra who is 9 and a whole selection of animals, including dogs, goats, cat, pigeons.  Holly and Zach and Kendra immediately hit it off and although it was dark and 10pm we all spent a long while chatting while the kids messed around.
Eventually we retired for the night. Becky did not return from the grill until late so we didn't see her again that night.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: