Saturday 31 May

Trip Start Apr 13, 2008
Trip End Oct 27, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Kansas
Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday 31st May
We woke at 5 am with the awful sound of Hail on the roof of the van.  This was not a good sound.  We all immediately jumped into action and through all loose things onto the floor while Steve ran outside and unplugged the power.  You may think we were over-reacting but we had been warned that hail can be huge (as big as a softball) and very damaging to a camper.  We were also on edge because of the constant talk of tornado's in the area.
We drove off around the showgrounds in the hope of finding cover for the van.  About 100m down the track the hail stopped and the danger had passed although we carried on until we found a spot that would be suitable just in case it happened again. We drove back to our parking spot and went back to sleep.
We woke about 8 am, tidied up and left about 10 am. We stopped  at a small town called El Dorado for lunch. Steve was keen to visit a museum about the history of oil in Kansas but it didn't look much so we didn't go in.  We spoke to a local guy for a bit which was interesting and then we continued on towards the border of Kansas and Missouri to a place called Fort Scott.
We were too late to visit this interesting place so we had tea near the fort and then found a Walmart to park over night.
The night started with a few rolls of thunder which was OK so we all went to sleep.  At about 10.30 the storm started to intensify. Wow!  I have never seen a storm like this one.  The lightening seemed to be coming from all directions, it was so loud it rocked the van and was almost defending! The rain and wind was unbelievable, the rain was the heaviest we had even experienced.  Eventually the lights in Walmart went out and they closed the store.  It was weird.  All the staff seemed to be driving off and we were pretty much left on our own.  Scary!  The storm began to die down at last and the lights all came back on.  The rain stopped and although we could still hear the thunder we were able to settle down and go back to sleep.  Holly and Zach were very brave and I was very impressed that they didn't seem to get upset at all the noise etc.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: