Kilimanjaro Summit Night

Trip Start Sep 12, 2013
Trip End Oct 06, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Tanzania  ,
Monday, September 23, 2013

Rongai Route Summit Night
Start Point - School Hut 4722m
First Summit at Gillmans Point 5708m is 5.4km 
then on to the true summit another 2km to Uhuru Peak 5895m 

So the first few hours actually went quite quick, in the video blog below I say we have been going for an hour but it was actually 3 hours after checking my watch.  The weather was ok little wind we just wore our 4 layers of thermals and tops and then two fleeces for that part then we put on our water/windproof layer and our super warm hats as the night went on.  

The walk was a mix of not too steep and some flat parts at first almost bearable how that was to change.  The view was unreal looking over to Mount Kibo in the bright moonlight was totally stunning, the songs of the porters singing and the shuffle of our feet were the only noises.  No idea how they are able to sing, we are walking at the slowest pace you can imagine and still totally out of breath.

At some point we began walking up zip zag path that was really steep, you zone out of stuff and your mind wanders but you are just looking at the feet in front of you "pole pole" as the guides say "slowly slowly".  We stopped for a rest and once again I needed the loo - this is a complete nightmare in the freezing cold and trying to sort out all your layers of clothes after just takes all the breath you have its ridiculous.  I looked up the zig zag path and my head just kept tilting was never ending steep terrain just flashes of other peoples head torches what seemed like way up in the sky it was so dark - the realisation of this next part of the climb was overwhelming.  You just try no to thing about the top just to keep putting one foot in front of another if you look up the top just never seems any closer.  Our hydration packs and straws had frozen now so getting water was impossible, we had a small bottle so sipped on that, the guides always say drink drink to help with altitude.
The next few hours are a bit of a daze, its almost like your drunk or hallucinating your eyes play tricks on you in the darkness, perhaps is tiredness who knows.  I remember noticing the sun was coming up over the horizon we were to be at the summit for sunrise I remember thinking when the sun is up it will all be over!   I was feeling really sick now, was given half a diamox at some point and the porter was helping me with my bag, I felt so weak and just wanted to sit down my legs felt like jelly.  The sun was now almost up I remember lifting my head slightly thinking it was soooo the best sunrise I will ever see it was beautiful but if I lost my pace it was harder to get going again.

Gillmans point was in sight some metal shiny thing you could see in the rock was the top, the zig zag's now were giant steps up rocks but by now one of the guide's, Harold, had me by the hand pulling me up each one.  I was exhausted my legs didn't want to go I was happy to sit and just give up, I had said to Marc earlier, don't let me give up but there and then I didn't care. People were throwing up around me, all 26 of us were still together as a group, Marc was right behind me doing amazing it was now light and slowly but surely goodness knows how I got to Gillmans point where I sat in a complete daze (see pic its hilarious).   

From here its another hour or so to Uhuru Peak, where the sign is and the true summit, although much flatter I thought to hell with it its only a sign and a photo I don't care!  We were given a can of red bull....I hate red bull but I drank it and the thought of not being in the group photo & Marc having the pic without me in it got me to my feet.  The flat walking was ok but soon as there was any hill there was Harold again holding my hand.  Breathing is just so hard I think we are around 50% oxygen levels its crazy.

The glaciers and the crater up the top are just out of this world, its such a shame that in a few years they might no longer be there, Harold tells me when he was a young porter many years ago how much bigger they were then. Who knows how long they will remain there.

Some hour n half I think maybe more after yet another flaming toilet stop amazingly there it was the sign, the true summit we had done it.  I have no idea what time it was now maybe 10am, not sure, but there were all 26 of us deifying the odds of a 1 in 5 failure standing at the summit it was totally overwhelming, tears were shed and everyone was so happy.  Marc had done amazing he is so head strong and determined and literally behind me all the way, I'm so proud of him :-))

We all took our pictures and then just as the group photo one was taking one of our camera guys passed out, he was given oxygen and took down the mountain as quickly as possible and he recovered fine.  It highlights the severity of where we were and what we had just achieved.

So when you climb a mountain all you think about reaching the summit talks about the going down.   We had to go back down the way we came and wow it was tough, we had now been awake around 28 hrs, we last ate some porridge and toast some 13 hours or so ago we were weak, exhausted and so tired with 5.8km to get down it doesn't sound like much but the downhill on your legs is hell.   I was better going down I think I got my second wind but for Marc he had focused so much on the top the going down wasn't for him.   He just sat at one point and said I will sleep here for a few hours bless him, he was exhausted, for him this was way worse that the going up.  There is loose scree that you can dig into and the gravel slides away under you meaning you can gain speed quick and the soft dirt covers distance pretty well but its exhausting.

We were one of the last down it took us till around 1pm that day I think maybe later to get back to camp. The pain didn't stop there when we realised we had to walk 7 miles to the next camp that afternoon we just sat on the ground outside the mess tent in a daze wondering where we can raise any more energy for it.  We had a few potatoes and veggies and some water, we had no appetite....the joys of altitude its very rare to see Marc and I not hungry!!!

The sooner we left the sooner we could be in bed, most of the walk was flat so we just picked ourselves up and set off, no idea how we managed it but somehow after 3-4 hours more of pain we arrived at camp, scoffed dinner and slept like babies since we were now back down at 3900m.

What an unforgettable experience shared with a superb bunch of people all for a great cause.


Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


marilyn on

well what can you say after that amazing journey you have been on amanda and marc you always look after one another and you know it was for such a good cause. you should be so proud of yourselves for achieving the summit what memories you will have to look back on.congrats again and made me so proud of you both xx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: