Trip Start May 10, 2011
162Trip End Apr 15, 2012
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
- Pandas werent discovered by the western world till 1869 until Pere David brought a pelt back from China
- There are now less than 1000 wild pandas left in the wild in China
- Due to being very low in nutrients pandas need to spend 16 hours a day munching through 40kg of bamboo to stay healthy
- Every 25 years bamboo flowers and then dies en-masse so wild pandas need to move somewhere else to survive, in 1970's over 130 pandas starved to death in the wild because of this.
- Pandas have developed a "thumb" not a real one but a modified wrist bone that enables them to strip the bamboo leaves from their branches
So anyway we spent the morning there wandering round - there was a mum and its baby being all playful in one enclose they were lovely - you have to get there early in the morning as they tend to go indoors when it gets really hot
Anyway the pics say it all it was a great day out.
Oh and the pics of the goldfish are mental - people were putting in fish food and they were literally coming out the water to get the food - crazy giant goldfish !
Day trip to pandas organised by hostel included entry & bus - £10 each
Double room ensuite - £16 per night