Day 23 - bits and pieces in Prague

Trip Start Nov 29, 2011
Trip End Jan 28, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Czech Republic  , Bohemia,
Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Today I got up at 7:30am, had a pear and some yoghurt then went and layed back in bed until about 9:30am. Baba told me she was going out to do shopping and see the Vaclav Havel memorial at the top Wenceslas square. I wanted to see it too do I quickly got ready and we headed out at about 10:15am.

We caught our usual bus and the metro to the top of Wenceslas square. As we walked up the stairs to the street we could see heaps of people surrounding the main statue of Saint Wenceslas on a horse. This is apparently where people come to pay their respects when someone has died. There were thousands of candles surrounding the statue and people coming just to stand there and think. Looking at all of the candles representing just how many people had come and were affected by Vaclav Havel's death made me feel a bit sad too.

Vaclav Havel was the Czech Republic's ex prime minister. Before that he was a play writer and fought for human rights during communism which ended up putting him in jail. After he was released from jail he was very well known and voted as president. Vaclav Havel ended up making many changes to the Czech Republic and helped people to gain freedom. The country really wouldn't be the way it is today without him.

After looking at the memorial we wandered down the square and bought some souvenirs. We wandered around some more and saw the same souvenirs for half the price at another shop which was a bit annoying.

We searched for the two cats restaurant which we dined in earlier in our travels. Baba and I both had beef goulash with pickled cabbage and dumplings. I thought I should try some more Czech beer so asked for a Pilsner. The last brought me a 500ml jug... It was nice beer but way too much of it with such a heavy meal. I had about three quarters of both and then felt so incredibly full. I hobbled out of the place and we wandered down to a gourmet deli where we bought some jarred condiments and things to make Christmas hamper type things for relatives.

We then headed back towards the flat and Baba wanted to shop for more things so I took all of the bags and caught a bus to the flat on my own.

When I got back to the flat I tried to start organizing my suitcase for Asia and was amazed at the amount of things I have. I have no idea how I fit everything in the first place. Baba said she can take my winter things home for me but I'm worried about the weight as hers was overweight with souvenirs for the relos packed in there on the way.

Baba got back to the flat and we ended up having to quickly get ready to leave for Marketa's daughter, Emma's dance concert. We quickly tried to search for the most dressy things we had and got ready.

We caught the bus and 2 metros to get to the national theatre and had allocated 45 minutes to do this but we ended up being a bit late. Marketa's husband met us outside and we all hurried in, arriving just in time before they were about to start.

Emma's performance was first and it was very cute with all the you get children. They did a winter inspired dance to a Christmassy song. The other performances involved mainly girls, of all different ages. Some of the performances were surprisingly a bit depressive and in the play type situation there was a lot of fake slapping around by their fake teacher. The dances all made me wish I had continued with dancing though and I felt a bit jealous of the extremely flexible girls, moving about so delicately on the stage.

After the concert we said hello to Emma who appeared to be a bit upset. Marketa wasn't able to come to the concert as she had to prepare a special news program for Vaclav Havel. We think Emma was a bit sad to not have mum there, which was understandable. Marketa was upset to not be able to go too though. Made me feel bad and wish I could have done something :(.

Baba and I went to our usual fancy deli where we had some open sandwiches. We then wandered off to the museum metro station so we would only have to take the one metro and a bus.

When we arrived back at the flat I ate some apple strudel we bought earlier and sorted out souvenirs. I tried to work it out so everyone I usually see gets something. It's been so hard though as I don't want to give people crummy souvenirs just because they say Prague on them.

It's 10:30pm now and I'm thinking maybe sleep is a good idea. Tomorrow we have more exploring to do!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: