Day 22 - making the most of last hours in Vienna

Trip Start Nov 29, 2011
Trip End Jan 28, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Michle, Prague

Flag of Austria  , Vienna,
Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Today was an early morning due to the noisy street below our hotel room and a super soft pillow. I snuck into the bathroom and got ready while Marketa slept a bit more. When I got out Marketa was awake so we headed downstairs to the breakfast buffet. I quickly went and knocked on Baba's door and brought her down too.

We had some rolls, cold meats and cheeses as well as yoghurt and juice. It wasn't as good as what we had in the Berlin hotel but it was enough :p.

After breakfast we packed up all our luggage, checked out and left our bags at the hotel. We then headed down to a large palace Marketa had told us about. Along the way we walked through a large park and for the first time I saw puddles which were actually ice! Again with the experimentation, stomping on it and rubbing my shoes against it. As we walked further into the park I spotted a squirrel close by, then we ended up seeing two more. It was so typical, them swirling around the tree trunks and then sitting on the branches chomping on acorns or something similar.

After our journey through the park, we reached the palace which was called Schonbrunn palace. It was a huge building with gardens around the back and sides which kind of reminded me to the palace in Versailles. Around the front of the palace were all the little Christmas market huts but noone was around as it was still quite early.

We headed into the palace and got some audio guides to take through with us. The palace was in rococo style and the rooms were quite impressive. After wandering around the inside of the palace, we wandered around the gardens and noticed all of the Christmas markets were open and quite busy with people within that square. We looked through the markets a bit and then headed back to the city to find ourselves some lunch.

We ended up heading to a place called "Mama's kitchen", just off of the main mall. The place had all home style foods and I had some moussaka with tzatziki.

After lunch we wandered about some more and I saw a car just like mine but white parked on the street! It was so exciting. Instead of a Holden badge though it had a Chevrolet one.

We ended up heading to a cafe where we all had some apple strudel (which has become a definite favourite for dessert). They offered me vanilla sauce with mine when I ordered so I thought yeah sure. When I received my strudel it was in a bowl surrounded by a custard soup. Dairy products make me feel sick but especially straight milk and custard. I tried to eat as little custard as possible while scooping out my apple strudel but still ended up feeling a bit sickly afterwards.

We then headed back to our hotel to get our bags and then to the bus depot. By this time we were starting to feel like professionals with the transport!

On the bus I let Marketa and Baba sit together because I was sleepy and I didn't want to have to listen to Baba talking more than I already do lol. A strange girl came and had reserved the seat next to me. She took off her jacket and had massive sweat marks on her tshirt (in the middle of an icy winter?), she smelt like sausages too. She said "dobry den" and I just smiled because I don't speak Czech obviously. I know it means "good day" but it's easier to just smile than to explain I don't speak Czech lol. I realized the girl smelt like sausages as she had stashed away a roll filled with sausages into her bag and pulled it out to eat it. During the trip she was on the phone speaking really loudly and then got a message or something and was thrashing about in her seat laughing...

The strange girl got off in Beroun so I had 2 seats to myself. It was so uncomfortable on the bus and such a bumpy ride for some reason that I wasn't able to sleep.

We eventually got back to Prague at about 9:30pm and took the metro and a bus back to the flat. On the metro we were being our usual sneaky selves and didnt buy a ticket... We were waiting for the metro when suddenly we saw 4 men checking peoples tickets and givong out fines. I wuickly ran upstairs again and bought us some tickets, then ran back down. The men didnt check our tickets as the metro came sopn after. We learnt our lesson now and will not go without tickets again!

When we got to the flat Baba moved herself to the couch as she has a head cold and didn't want to keep me awake with her coughing. I sat about in bed for a while and looked over my papers for the booked Asia hotels. Looking at the papers now, 3 nights at $400 a night each wasn't the best price. I'm sure that hotel will be nice even though we only have a basic room. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Ryan and spending time with him in Asia. I know it's only about a week before I see him, but as each day gets closer I get more and more homesick and miss him.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: