Day 15 - arriving in Berlin and exploring a little

Trip Start Nov 29, 2011
Trip End Jan 28, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Germany  ,
Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Today we had set my alarm to 6am to get ready to leave by 7am to get our train from Prague to Berlin. Unfortunately I was awake at 4:30am so made the most of the vampire diaries audiobooks I put on my iPhone! :p

I got up just before 6 and started to get ready then. I tried to eat some of our cakes for breakfast so they wouldn't go to waste (such a hard life!) We then packed everything up, and I had my usual routine of opening the windows up and getting dressed by the window because I get hot so easily in the super heated flat! It's lovely having the almost icy cool breeze blow in to freshen you up in the morning after feeling hot and gross.

Anyway so we headed to the train station by a bus and metro, lugging around my suitcase. Just as well we found elevators at the metro stations to make life a little easier. When we arrived at the station we still had heaps of time. I wandered off to go find a toilet and went upstairs to find myself in the old train station. It was a bit creepy up there with everything dark and wooden boards creating the floors. There was a little cafe though and above it stained glass windows and statues. On the other side of the building were more stained glass windows and a large clock which would have really added to the feel of a classical old train station.

When I got back downstairs where we were waiting to find out what platform to head to, our Prague travel agent met up with us to give us some more papers that were just sent through. A bit different to our last travel agent! Baba was talking to the lady for a bit and then they asked me what else I would like to see in Europe while we're here (considering what is close by), so I said Warsaw! Now the lady is off planning for us a mini 2-3 day trip to Warsaw, Poland :). The day after we'd plan to get back we'd be leaving for Vienna too. Busy, busy!

Eventually the platform number was put up for us, do we headed up there. It was so confusing working out where we needed to go as we had reserved seats. We ended up finding some guy luckily and he sent us in the right direction. We ended up having to kick a couple out of our seat as we paid more to reserve window seats :p.

The 4.5hr train ride seemed to go really quickly! I listened to some more of my vampire diaries audiobook. Baba kept interrupting me every few minutes though so I was constantly having to pause, then rewind a bit to remember where I was and then continue :p. the countryside was lovely. The train didn't seem like it travelled that fast either.

When we arrived in Berlin we had to search for a man with a sign for us who was booked to take us to our hotel. We got a bit lost and I tried to tell Baba we should go to the other side, but she had to seek advice from the info kiosk people. As Baba did this I admired a little coffee shop with about 40 different Gelati flavours! They all looked so good. Baba agreed to go there with me on our way out of Berlin.

We then headed to the other side of the station where I had suggested for us to go to originally lol. When we got there we found a grumpy German man with a sign held up with 'Isemonger' (Baba's last name). We got in the car and headed to the hotel. Along the way we noticed the huge difference between Prague and Berlin buildings, where Berlin buildings appeared to be so plain and simple.

We arrived at the hotel and it actually seemed really lovely. It was a Best Western one and I remember staying in one of their hotels when I was with my Dad in Paris in 2005. When we arrived to our room, we saw on the television was a message saying "Frau Isemonger and Egg"... "Egg"!? :( nasties, I'm no egg...

Baba and I then wanted to make the most of the rest of the day so headed out at about 2/2:30pm to see the city. I managed to work out the tram and metro after a bit of studying, so led us to what seemed like a big square towards the centre of the map.

When we got to the square, we noticed a very busy little place with lots of Christmas markets and a big shopping centre. Baba and I immediately saw a crepe stall and earlier I was going on about how I craved creeps being in Europe because I had lots with Dad last time I came and when we stayed in Paris. I got a ham and cheese one to try and have something substantial to eat. Baba got an eggnog and nutella crepe which seemed a bit unusual but she said tasted pretty good. I was a little jealous I didn't get a nutella crepe and feel like I must get one tomorrow or something lol.

As we wandered around some more we saw lots of little stalls with hand made things. We saw lots of stalls with wooden crafts but we have already made the mistake of buying some lovely wooden things Baba has to try and take back into Australia!

We then wandered around the big shopping centre where I wanted to get some German choccies. After this we saw a little deli near the entrance which had the most beautiful, detailed little cakes, tarts and other sweet things. Baba felt she must buy something from there do somehow convinced me to agree to her getting a huge slice of cherry strudel. We had only just bought two big sweet ball things like waffles (very strange and still yet to try them - called something like 'Shnee- Ballen'.

By this time it was about 4:30/5pm and was quite dark outside. We decided it would be best to head back to the hotel so I managed to find us the way first go! With both the metro and team, to the exact stops we needed, by me guessing. Baba laughed and was amazed I got us back so easily.

Marketa my cousin called and Baba was telling her about our day, saying it was like I lived here once, the way I could get myself around and back to the hotel. I felt a little special with my homing pigeon abilities :p.

We then had dinner in the hotel restaurant. Baba had some goose and I had a veggie risotto. There was only us and an older couple dining in the restaurant. The guy from the older couple ordered soup and as soon as he received it, shoved a spoon in and ate it. He then threw down the spoon and complained to his wife he had burnt his mouth. A waitress came around and the old man kicked up a fuss saying his soup was too hot! Lol it was quite amusing.

I then tried to use the free computer and Internet access to upload my camera photos but I didn't bring my cord with me and the computer disnt have an sd card slot :(.

I went upstairs to get ready for bed and had a shower... I got to stand and didn't have to hold a hose while I washed myself! It was so relaxing and lovely. I probably drained a bit of whatever is equivalent to the Murray River here... Afterwards I even dried my hair with a hair dryer! Oh the luxuries! I haven't done these things since I left Adelaide on the 29th of November.

Now I am laying on my hotel bed with fresh sheets, just about ready to sleep I think. Tomorrow is a big day planned with a tour of Berlin! :)
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: