Day 3 - our first whole day in Prague

Trip Start Nov 29, 2011
Trip End Jan 28, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Czech Republic  , Bohemia,
Thursday, December 1, 2011

This morning I woke up very tired still and was dizzy from the heat in our flat. For breakfast I had some apple pie/cake thing that my great aunt sent back with us last night, as well as some yoghurt from our food filled fridge. When we were ready we walked out to the bus stop which was through a little park across the road from the flat. Walking through there were beautiful autumn leaves everywhere. We caught the bus and underground train heading to the Vietnamese embassy so I could get my visa but it was not open. Afterwards we went for a wander to Wenceslas square which has lots of shops. On the way we admired the buildings surrounding us and I took a few snaps. All of the buildings were so different to anything in Adelaide, where many had sculpted features upon the front, some with paintings, some with gold painting around the edges and also some with beautiful copper roofs which had turned green. Looking at just the little things like roads and footpaths were amazing as they were all hand laid with cobblestones and small tiles sometimes in different patterns.

In the busy shopping area we wandered about searching for somewhere for Baba to use her Australian dollar travelex card. We went to h&m where we bought 2 sets of gloves for about $2.50! I also bought a pair of purple leather gloves for about $13 from a small stall.

There were Christmas decorations all about and the cool air was nice and refreshing. There were so many options for food and we eventually decided on a place. Baba had some dumplings with smoked ham inside and I had some chicken with a herb butter and veggies (baby carrots, sweet corn, purple cabbage, broccoli, normal cabbage and boiled potatoes). It was a huge meal! With our meals we had some wine (not anywhere as good as our south Aussie range at home). Our lunch was $16 in Australian money! So Baba tipped them $5. We bought some ear plugs so I could block out Baba's snoring tonight and be able to sleep :p. We hovered around and I looked around at souvenirs, trying to plan what to get for people. If anyone has specific requests that aren't too expensive, let me know!

We used our first public toilet which cost 5 korun per usage (about 25cents I think). On the way through by the door they had the toilet paper which you had to get in front of the lady do she could see you didn't have too much. I would feel sorry for people doing number twos! While I was washing my hands Baba came out and started banging, twisting and pulling the tap to get it to turn it on. I kept telling her to push but it took some time and an example before she got it lol. Hopefully she will learn more about modern things soon... Although Prague seems a bit behind in technologies and other things.

We went to an Internet cafe. The waitress there was extremely arrogant and Baba asked for some coffee and 2 pieces of cake, the girl got annoyed and told us to take a seat. Baba ordered then the girl came back to us and said to me in English rudely "are you ready to order yet?" when obviously I didn't want anything extra! We got 1hr free Internet with 60 korun spent which was about $3 Australian. It took me an hour just to write out the last 2 blogs which were already written in my phone.

Afterwards when we got out it was about 4pm so it was getting dark. The lights were out and everything was looking magical. We got some hot chestnuts to nibble on. The warmth of the bag in my hands was nicer than the taste really.

We found a place for electronics and bought an adaptor so I could charge my bits and pieces and also bought a sim card with Internet to save me troubles of Internet cafes again! Baba even said to me that without a working phone I was like a person without hands, meaning I was a bit lost.

We walked around some more and went into Wenceslas square near the big clock tower. There was a huge Christmas tree which was real, covered in beautiful lights. Along with this were many stalls with food and souvenirs. It was like a celebration for the 1st of December being the first day of Christmas we think. We wandered around and got some hot apple cider and some thin wafers which were filled with chocolate or hazelnut cream.

It began to get darker so we decided to head back. We caught the metro to where we remembered but had no idea where to go from there so we caught a taxi the rest of the way which cost us about $5.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


travandkel on

Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: