Day 2 - arriving in Frankfurt and then Prague

Trip Start Nov 29, 2011
Trip End Jan 28, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Germany  , Hesse,
Wednesday, November 30, 2011

On the plane from Singapore to Frankfurt thez spoke German most of the time so I didn¨t really have an idea of what was going on. I watched ¨Larry Crowne for about an hour and then started to fall asleep. It was about 11pm at night their time so I thought I should just try and get some sleep. I was probablz waking up every half hour or so and probably only slept for 2 hours maximum. When I woke up properly it was dark in the plane and pretty much everyone else was sleeping. Baba then told me she thought we missed a meal. I was starving so I went and asked the flight attendants, thez told me I had but it wasn¨¨t hot anymore so offered to make me some instant noodles. I thought it was better than nothing so went for it. About 10 minutes later the lady came out with a whole tray which had noodles on it, a small pasta salad with some ham rolled up on top of it, about 6 little blocks of fruit in a little bowl thing and a stodgy cold bread roll. I was a little disappointed to miss out on the real meal as I was excited to try each one on each aeroplane. I ended up watching some TV shows for a while and taking mini snoozes but they didn't last long. The flight attendants came aroudn with some little packets of crackers but they were very plain. Along with this, the flight attendants were coming through with cups of juice and water every half hour or so. Between us, Baba and I got to a point where we had 12 cups with us, so we decided to have some fun and make some cup towers on the spare tray between us.

About 2 hours before we were to land in Frankfurt, we were given our breakfast at 3am. It was some sort of warm spinach filled filo pastrz roll with small potatoes and some overly steamed beans on the side. Alongside the warm meal was a tub of yoghurt which was really yummy, making me remember that was one of the things I loved last time I went to Europe, how much flavour their yoghurts have.

We then arrived in Frankfurt. After finally finding where we needed to get our hand luggage checked, I was frisk searched bz some woman the men called over because they thought I might have drugs. I was sent to a booth thing and then a lady came over, stretching gloves over her hands, asking me to put mz arms up in the air and then felt me up. I was trzing so hard not to laugh when she was doing it though haha. People in Frankfurt airport were generally quite rude though. The hand luggage check area was crazy.

We hovered around the airport for a bit afterwards waiting for our plane, got changed into our warmer clothes and I tried to get into mz email to check if I sent through the right time for the relatives to pick us up from the airport. There was only one problem, there was no ¨¨at¨¨ key on the keyboard. There I was trying to quickly work it out when the paid internet service was running out. I called over a few passers by to see if they could help but they had no idea either. Eventuallz I just pressed enter and it told me I needed an address in the specific format showing an example: So I then copied and pasted the symbol and got it to work:

The plane ride to Frankfurt to Prague was 45 minutes. They still fed us some pasta salad with some tomatoes, bocconcini, olves and something like rocket. Alongside that we had a little packet of crostini dried bread sticks, but they actually tasted like fresh bread. This mini meal made my view of Lufthansa airlines go up slightly.

When we arrived into Prague I started to get excited. It was verz cloudly and drizzly though. As soon as we were in the airport, Baba was reading the signs and speaking to me in Czech accidentally. I would look at her strangely and say 'Baba...¨ but she¨d keep going and realise a few minutes later.

My great uncle and aunt picked us up from the airport, when we were about to go outside my great aunt was frantically trying to get me to quickly put my coat on. When we got outside it was so cool and refreshing. I was wearing normal socks, thermal socks, boots, footless tights, cargo pants, a singlet, a thermal top, a woolen jumper and this fur type coat. I felt hot almost. In the car I had to work out how to use the seatbelt which was in two parts, very strange. It was lovely to see some Prague countryside. i started to feel a bit left out because everyone was speaking Czech. Moving more into the city which was mazbe half an hour, I noticed a lot of lovelz old buildings, but so manz with graffiti on them which ruined the view a bit. As we started to drive into the hustle and bustle of the citz, I started to get a bit scared from how crazy the raods were and how close cars get to each other. we then arrived to where we were staying and the road which I think was supposed to be two way, was lined with car after car on both sides, leaving barely enough room for one car to get past.

The place where we were set to stay was an apartment type building with a mini elevator. As soon as we stepped in we realised it was all heated: The flat was organised just for Baba and I to stay in on our own: My great uncle, Venda, showed us inside teh fridge and kitchen cupboard, which were both filled with food they had bought just for us: As we were trying to sort ourselves out I was falling asleep and Venda informed us that my great aunt Jitka was preparing us lunch in their country house in Heaskov, outside of Prague. It took about one and a half hours to get down there. When we arrived there was that wood fire smell in the air and it was quite warming. Everything looked so traditional around the house. Jitka, my half cousin also named Jitka and her son, Venda, named after his grandfather, greeted us. Jitka junior and my Baba were the only ones who could speak English and I was the only who couldn¨t speak Czech. We had lunch which was a cream and vegetable soup with chicken, savoury dumplings, fresh cranberries and cream. It was lovely with so many flavours.

Jitka junior had to pick up her other son, Hamuld who is 5, from kindergarten which was just down the hill. I went with Jitka and Venda junior who is 3. The kindergarten was about 5 minutes away. When we got there it seemed so traditional, it was a building that looked like an old house with steps leading up to it and a little gate. When we got inside there were plastic booties to put over our boots to keep the floor clean. Each child had 3 shelves, one for their kindergarten shows, one for their bags and one for their clothes. The children just wore tights and tops while at the kindergarten. We went and greeted Hamuld who was a bit shy with me at first. Apparently he does know English but doesn¨t speak much of it.

We walked back up the hill to the house and it was a bit drizzly and cool. When we got back we took off all our lazers and the boys showed me their rooms in the apartment type thing in the upstairs of the house. The boys were starting to get excited about me being there and were calling me ¨¨teta¨ which means aunty.

It got to about 4.30pm and it was already quite dark outside: we started to head back to Prague as both Baba and I were very tired. It took about 2 hours as we were in peak traffic time.

When we got back I had a quick shower, but the shower was a small bath with a hose with a spray on it... I ended up spraying my clothes in the bathroom as there was no shower curtain. Oops:

Soon after I went to bed, where it got very hot and in the middle of the night I woke up many times due to my grandma snoring in the other bed and my great grandmothers clock chiming every hour.
I ended up laying in bed typing this journal into my phone and watched an episode of little britain I put on my phone before I left Adelaide.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: