The Minuteman has the last laugh!

Trip Start Sep 12, 2005
Trip End Aug 15, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Monday, May 29, 2006

We crossed the border from La Quiaca early as we had to change our money and catch a train to Uyuni, however, we didnīt realise there was a time difference between the towns and turned up at the train station a bit early...5 hours early so i suppose we canīt blame the time change!

Villazon itself seemed like a nice town,much more lively than its neighbour. The first notable difference was the huge bags of coca leaves being sold on the streets. Coca is a part of Boliviaīs culture and has been for hundreds of years. Coca helps combat the effects of altitude and as most of Bolivia is kilometres above sea level it was something we may need to rely on ourselves. When we eventually arrived in the train station it was like a travellers hostel. We recognised two of the guys, Matt and Todd, two Aussie lads we had bumped into a few times in Salta. We all bought our tickets and made our way to the platform. As we waited to board the train we were approached by two "doctors" who informed us that we could not board the train without having a Rubella jab first! Faced with the prospect of a shot in the arm with a dubious looking needle we quickly amended our medical certificates to include a recent MMR jab. We were allowed to board and 10 hours later we arrived in Uyuni.

The four of us found a room for the night and the next day booked our trip for the Salt Plains for which Uyuni is famous. After hanging around the markets for the day we headed for some food at the Minuteman pizza joint in town. With an American owner/chef it has a reputation as a bit of a cult place for travellers to hang out in. It lived up to its reputation and the pizza was pretty special. So special that Conor had an overwhelming desire to see his again at 3.30 that morning. By 9am we both knew there was no chance of going on our trip. Mairead changed the trip for the next day, Todd and Matt headed off with another group and poor Conor spent the rest of the day sick in bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: