Day 6: June 25, 2007 Seymour North to Genovesa

Trip Start Jun 20, 2007
Trip End Jul 04, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Ecuador  ,
Monday, June 25, 2007

Day 6: June 25, 2007 Seymour North to Baltra to Genovesa

I slept very well to the gentle rocking of the boat and got up at 6:30 for our 7:00 breakfast. After breakfast we did a short hike on Seymour Norte seeing lots of Frigate Birds and Blue-footed Boobies. We also saw one Red-footed Booby. I got a good video of him challenging a Frigate Bird. We also saw land and marine iguanas.

We then sailed over to the north shore of Baltra for refueling. While the boat refueled we snorkeled along the beach. The water was fairly warm and clear. The highlight was a sea lion that swam with John and me for about half an hour. It was larger than the ones on Santa Fe. It came up to us and blew bubbles into our faces from about a foot away. We also watched him hunt by chasing a fish into the rocks and then move the rocks with his head and come out with the fish in his mouth. He'd shake it and then gobble it down. John took many great fotos. Then, 5 minutes before we left, it was joined by another. They cavorted with each other right in front of us. We returned to the boat in an ecstatic state.

We ate a great lunch and then sailed to Barcas Beach on the west coast of Santa Cruz. All day long we had good views of Daphne Mayor and Daphne Menor. Daphne Mayor is a beautiful tuff cone and Menor appears to be a tuff cone plug but the tuff has been eroded away.

Barcas Beach is named for a couple of barges that beached there during World War II. We did a short hike and then snorkeled along the lava/island interface at the beach. I chased some razor surgeonfish. It was a hot clear day and even with several applications of sun-block I was getting red. On the beach I found some shade an meditated while we awaited the Spondylus to return from restocking our water supply.

Once back on board, we started sailing for Genovesa, stopping to bid farewell to Edwin who left to attend the birth of his new daughter. He was replaced by Fernando, who will have big shoes to fill.

We sailed with a nice sunset silhouetting Santiago, Bartolome, Pinta, and the Daphnes. Lynn and Mary talked the crew in to bringing the boom box to the upper deck. We discovered that dancing the merengue was easier than walking on the rolling deck. It was great fun! Todd, Laura, Barbara, and Tom joined us as did several crew members.

After an excellent dinner we had our daily debriefing and laid out tomorrow's plan. Then I showed my video on the TV. Most of it came out pretty well.

Everyone was beat so when it was over we all went to bed even though it was only 9:00. We crossed the Equator about then. Seas were moderate so I was rocked to sleep by a fairly strong rocking motion. I felt no seasickness. Unfortunately, Larry did not fare as well.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: