Day 1: August 15, 2007 Brevard to Brevard-a False

Trip Start Aug 15, 2007
Trip End Mar 01, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , North Carolina
Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Day 1: August 15, 2007 Brevard to Brevard-a False Start
I spent the morning frantically getting last minute preparations done. I decommissioned the car and parked it; finished making space for Amanda in my office; packed my bags; picked up the front room, etc. My chores were finished about five minutes before Anne and Bob came over Anne on her bike and Bob in the car. I locked the house and left the keys in their prearranged spot. We loaded the car and I said good-bye to Anne who headed for home on her bicycle. Bob and I headed for the airport at about 3:10.

Elena and Haidee were already at the airport when we arrived. We hauled my two large bags, daypack, and computer bag into the airport. We said good-bye to Bob and Elena and I checked in. There was a problem registering my Skymiles Number because my ticket was written to James Howard Reynolds III instead of the James H. Reynolds on my Skymiles account. Computers strike again! We set up an account for Elena. Haidee and Elena said a tearful good-bye and our adventure began.

We went through security. To my chagrin, they pulled out my Leatherman, which had been buried in my pack for more than a year. I had no idea it was there. It had traveled with me through security to Ecuador and Iceland already this summer. Anyhow, I lost it.

After drinking a cup of coffee, we went to the waiting room. I read Time and Elena read Harry Potter #6 awaiting our 5:56 flight. At about 5:40 it was announced that there was a mechanical problem and the flight was delayed. Then they had to call another mechanic from his home requiring another half-hour delay. Next, they needed mechanics from Charlotte making at least a 3-hour delay. We weren't flying to Buenos Aires this evening.

Delta gave everyone hotel rooms and meal vouchers except the local residents! They wouldn't even rent a car for us. We were locked out of the house in Brevard and had no transportation to get there anyhow. I tried to rent a car but none of the companies had anything free. Defeated, I called Bob for help at about 9:15. He came up to the airport and picked us up, cheerful as ever.

We drove back to Brevard with his "Bionic Bob" beeper going off most of the way. We tried, unsuccessfully, to find a hidden outdoor key at the house. I didn't have my cell phone so I couldn't call her. We used Elena's phone to call my parents who had Liz's number but she had turned her phone off for the night. We decided to spend the night at Bob and Anne's. Upon arriving at their place, I dumped Elena with them so I could go to Bob's Office and send emails to the Fulbright Commission in Argentina and Claudia Galli in Salta to advise them of the change in plans. I couldn't use my office because I had no keys. When I got to Bob's office, however, his monitor was dead. Sigh....

I called Security and had them let me into my office where I finally was able to send out the messages. It was now close to midnight so I returned to the Bauslaugh-Chapin compound and went to bed, suddenly realizing that Elena and I never ate any dinner. No big deal-we both fell asleep.
Slideshow Report as Spam
Where I stayed
Bob and Anne's House
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: