One day in KL and we're causing trouble already...

Trip Start Nov 21, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Sunday, November 25, 2007

Today we got up at 7ish in order to get to the Petronas towers in KL. We bought our tickets for the subway and were then later told on the platform that we couldn`t get to the KLCC station as it was closed for the day. On futher pressing we found out it was due to a security issue however the towers were open. So being mad tourists we went anyway. We don`t get up that early for nothing. We got off the very packed train one stop before KLCC and despite our best haggling we didn`t get a refund for the misadvertising. Then we walked in the bristling heat towards the towers (which looked lovely yet out of place in the skyline from our direction). After walking for 5 minutes we noticed that there were many people walking to work in the same direction however we thought it might be normal. The closer we got to the towers the more we started to realise that there was something funny going on. At one point there was so many people on the road (predominantly men) that no cars could pass. A helicopter roared past and out came a cheer from the boys on the street. Myself and Crys were looking at each other in bewilderment and laughing nervously. Then we saw the smoke. There was an obvious demonstration about to happen and I reckon we could have missed it and entered the towers if we`d been even 20 minutes earlier. So we turned on our heels and walked back up the street towards the station, stopping at the tourist office on the way to find out what was going on. It turns out there was a Hindi protest in the area today and it was quite dangerous for us to be around. Oops! So the nice lady recommended that we check out some other (non protest) areas of the city instead.

As we went back into the train station we notice that the police had just come and started some road blocks. As we went down the lift to the train we saw literally hundreds of men happily going toward the demonstration area. We jovially signalled to them to go back as they were all shouting at us. They must have thought we were hilarious hanging out at a Hindi protest. Anyhow all`s well that ends well. And then it was breakfast time....

Part 2:
At the hostel we got chatting to the Owner, Muhammed, who was very helpful and offered us a tour for later that day. I wanted to go to Petalying Jaya first so we arranged the tour for 4pm. We left and went to Petalying Jaya to see the church where dad's uncle, (Fr) Ned Sullivan, worked a a Jesuit missionary until his death in 1980. So being in this part of the world, I felt I should follow in the footsteps of all Rohan backpackers and call in to say hello. St. Francis Xavier is a beautiful church (and quite important to the area I later learned). Fr Simon Yong was the man to see but he had just left to say mass with the bishop in the next parish. We were asked to wait by an amazingly helpful lady called Agatha, who filled us in on the church details and showed us around the beautifully kept building. We didn't have much time so we decided to leave but took plenty video and pictures and leaflets so it was sort of productive and I'm sure Granny will be delighted someone called in.
Then we went back to our home for the night. I must include the stops and routes we took another time as I have prematurely posted the city maps home.
Muhammed brought us to the Batu caves and the Dutch Fort where we saw monkeys, then on to a Firefly show and off to dinner. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: