BETWEEN 5 DAYS AND 1200 KM………
Trip Start Jun 30, 2008
80Trip End Dec 31, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
From Beijing we took the overnight train the 1200 km to Xian and must say that it was a very enjoyable journey. After travelling in India, the Chinese train was very clean, safe and affordable. The kids want to ride it again.
Final thoughts on Beijing…….
- Modern city with all the luxuries
· Air quality is highly variable as we had beautiful blue sky for a week then hazy over cast the next
· Local people not as friendly to us as we are used to in Zhuhai most likely because of the massive numbers of foreigners (like us in the City).
We were greeted at the Xi’an Railway station bright and early by our good friend Betty Lee who I had never met but had communicated with for business purposes. We were brought to the hotel Betty Lee had booked for us and took the day to rest up and look around the area. We have mastered taking turns sleeping on our sides so that the other person can sleep on their back. If you have slept on a Chinese bed you will know that we would rate them 'firm’. So much so that James and Monique each have the ‘firm floor’ variety. We are really enjoying exploring Xi’an.
We celebrated Monique’s birthday by cycling the 14 km 650 year old wall (the last rebuild) that surrounds the centre of Xi’an (a city over 3,100 years old!)
· Construction going on everywhere
· More baggers and street people than we have seen since arriving in China. I suspect it is a sign of the economic slowdown.
· We have been following the riots in the North West as well as the devastating earthquake in the South West.