Iguazu Falls

Trip Start Apr 05, 2008
Trip End Aug 07, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Argentina  ,
Wednesday, April 16, 2008

We arrived in Sao Paulo at 5.15am from Agara after a 7.5 hours over night bus trip and we had to wait around until 2.30pm for our bus to Foz De Iguazu which is the Brazilian side of Iguazu falls. We passed the time in the bus station by loitering in a cafe, some of us read while others slept. After about 4 hours of this with the staff constantly giving us the evil eye we decided to find a new place to setup camp. When we found new seats we met an old guy from Brazil who had just run a marathon the previous day, he also told us he served in the French foreign legion and showed us his medals. He did all this using a sort of sign language as he didnīt speak any english. When he was leaving he gave us his address and phone number and we think he told us we could stay with him if we were ever in that part of Brazil.

After another over night bus we arrived in Foz De Iguazu and had to organise a taxi to take us across the border to Puerto Iguazu which is the Argentian side of the falls and the best side to view them from. We got across the border and to our hostel without any problems and signed up for the BBQ the hostel were organizing that night. After the BBQ there was a show on that consisted of one guy and two female Argentian dancers. They got Dermot and about 10 other guys up for an ass dance. After that we all got up and they got us to do a few different dances which was good craic. We met an Irish guy called Paddy who was travelling on his own, he had met a group of English and Austrailians which got him to get up on the table and do an Irish jig, so then we said that Siobhan was a great Irish dancer so the 2 of them got up on the table and struted their stuff.

The next day we didnīt do much as we were fairly hungover. We did manage to make it into town to a supermarket where we got food to make dinner, Dermot and Maggie cooked a lovely spag bol and homemade garlic bread. After dinner we met a girl from Tynagh called Maria, she couldnīt believe we knew where Tynagh was not to mention that we knew the guard and his wife :-) (my sister and brother in law to those that donīt know).

On Friday the 18th we decided it was time to get our asses in gear and go to see the falls. We had booked an orgainsed trip so were collected at the hostel at 8am. It was a gorgeous morning so when we arrived we decided to do the boat trip straight away to get good pictures. To get to the boat we took a jeep ride through the jungle for about 10km where a guide told us about the history of the falls and the park. The boat was a speed boat which took us down the river to the falls. We had to pack all our valuables into a water proof bag and hang on! We were brought through the rapids and under some of the falls where we got absolutely soaked. After the boat trip we did some of the walks around the park viweing different falls from different angles. The final walk we did was to the main fall called "The Devils Throat". To get to this we had to walk approx 1km over a foot bridge. We could hear the thundering noise and see the mist rising from the fall long before we got to it. When we reached the falls it was mesmerizing we could have stayed there looking and listening for hours.

The following day we left to go to Buenos Aires, with our fingers crossed that it wasnīt going to be too smokey.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: