Touring Siwa

Trip Start Apr 16, 2006
Trip End Jun 07, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Egypt  ,
Friday, April 21, 2006

I left the Ecolodge at about 8:30 am to tour Siwa, but not before getting cornered by the annoying Ecolodge guy who gave me grief the night before. Bassel and Maged were supposed to pick me up but Ecolodge guy wanted me to use HIS guide. Forget that I've paid for an entire tour of Egypt with my guides... annoying Ecolodge Guy kept repeating "Is not good for me!!! You use my guide at 10:00." I just shrugged my shoulders and decided to take my coffee in my room because frankly his need to be annoying was not good for ME.

Later Bassel complained to the Manager of the hotel and the Manager ended up begging my forgiveness. Annoying Ecolodge guy stayed away from me after that, but I think he was a little miffed. As long as he wasn't busy annoying me, I didn't care.

First we walked around the City of the Dead and then we met our Guide Mohammed. He was a very nice man. One of the few Egyptians I've met who actually has quit smoking... which was SUPER impressive. Egyptians like their cigs.

Anyhow, you can get the gist of the sights from my photos. So enjoy.

Oh, one thing I was going to leave out but I guess I'll confess now that it's a week later... as most of you know I usually injure myself right away when I travel so I've already gotten that out of the way. I sprained my foot something fierce the night I left the Ecolodge. I was walking down a dark hallway and missed a step. Heard it snap. But having heard that sound so many times before I knew what to do. I could still wiggle my toes so I knew it wasn't broken. I wrapped it up and carried on. (My personal feeling is that Annoying Siwa Ecolodge Guy cursed me.)

As of today (April 29) the swelling and bruising is gone. I still can't twist it and it's still tender but it should be perfect within a week. And in between spraining it and today, I've hiked every temple and tomb in Egypt (it feels like), I didn't miss a thing. I was very lucky because for a few minutes there after I missed that step I thought my vacation was over. I'm profoundly lucky it didn't break, so everything is fine. Don't worry.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: