It was supposed to be a road trip to Washington DC

Trip Start Nov 28, 2011
Trip End Dec 18, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
What I did
The Yankee, Saquatucket Harbour

Flag of United States  , Massachusetts
Monday, August 20, 2012

Ok so on the bus ride to Boston we decided we might not bother taking the 1000 mile round trip to Washington DC and check out Cape Cod instead.  We arrived tired as usual and picked up our hire car Logan airport you might ask why get a bus then pick up a car rather than just drive from New York but the reason is the car hire was less than half the price from Boston and the bus was only $20 each, however it was slow and then we had to get a connection to the airport thena  courtesy bus to the car hire depot making our journey a full 10 hours from start to car pick then we had to drive to Cape Cod and find a campsite!

We drove down to Cape Cod and pulled in at a campsite I had found on the internet, but it looked less than appealing so we moved on to a state campground George found on the internet, however it was full.  On the Rangers advice we headed further down the 6A and came across Shady Knoll and although now 9.20 and late the host kindly came down from her apartment and registered us in.

The site is $38 per night, which is more than we can really afford but it is clean, has showers, full wifi throughout the campsite and a laundry so we have opted for it as we are both really fed up with slumming it!

We had stopped at the supermarket on the way through so had ready made chicken salad, tomatoes and bread to make sandwiches also pitta chips and salsa to feast upon for dinner and we stopped at the liquor store for a can of hard lemonade and a beer.

Day one Cape Cod:  (Tuesday 21st Aug)  The cape is truly beautiful, I know I say this about pretty much every place we go but that is because of meticulous planning, why would we knowingly go somewhere unappealling?  First stop breakfast at some Lobster shacky restuarant which was inexpensive, good and with free coffee refills, what more could one want?  From there to the fishing store for a fishing rod for George which was a bit of dilema for him but we got there in the end and then for gas at the camping store.  We had trouble finding somewhere to fish but did sunbathe at a beach called Coastguards where there had been recent shark sightings (straight out of Jaws) , it was gloriously hot with full surf for body boarding, there were some surfers but they were only getting a really short run.  From there we headed to Provincetown at the tip of Cape Cod, our intented plan was to fish at the harbour but alas it did not prove fruitful and the town was like Newquay on a hot day to drive through!!!  However we were surprised to find past the harbour was a huge gay mecca with the theme being predominantly rich gay men either old and rich or young and good looking, who'd a thought it in conservative America. 
We walked around the town which was actually pretty cool with an artistic and nautical theme like a more cosmapolitan St Ives.  Afterwards we drove to Race Point with the intention of seeing the lighthouse (but it was miles away out of sight) and fishing, so Georgie partook in a liitle beach casting while I sat and read eating pitta chips and getting excited about the huge seal swimming around. 

Again we arrived home late after a supermarket stop to pick  up the ingredients for a Greek salad.  We had a pleasant meal together then headed to bed both exhausted..

Day 2:  After a pretty stressful few days we could do with a bit of time to ourselves, so after a long heart to heart we decided to have a couple of days apart and to oursleves as George is the named driver he reluctantly headed off to............. well I had no idea really but I guess it would involve a motel with tv and fastfood!!!  And I opted to stay at the campstie as there is a beach about a mile away and shops along the road so I should be quite comfortable.

So after George left I decided to catch up with all the little bits and pieces I wanted to do and  I messaged my brother on facebook and got a response which was lovely and he is very well and a bit jealous (if only he knew)  and messaged Ashley who seems to be too bloody busy to respond!  Checked my dwindling bank account, collected firewood which had been left at another campsite (yeahhh free firewood) popped to the shops for a bottle of water which I have drank with 2 ibrupofen for my stinking headache brought on from crying and a bottle of wine and packet of crisps for the evening. Don't worry I am not planning on getting blind drunk anyway it would take more than 1 bottle ;-), however it did cause me to adventure out and make friends with some other happy campers to borrow his corkscrew!!

It is coming to dusk and I am going to spend the rest of the daylight reading before retiring to my tent to read, I am really quite afraid of the dark so the thought of spending the night on my own in a tent I am definitely not relishing but hey ho needs must.

Thursday (I think) well I got off to a slow start despite having been up ages and showered by 8am.  Responded to a few e-mails was delighted to find out friends of ours Mark and Shelley, who we met up with in Indonesia, are now Mr & Mrs Grandfield,.................... A Very Big CONGRATULATIONS to you both .  Caught up with a few people of facebook and e-mail then decided it was time to stop avoiding going out and doing something.

So with my book, suntan lotion and towel I set off in search of the beach, which I was reliably informed was about a mile away, I stopped at the shops for more water and got a wrap to eat at the beach and then stopped at a second store, which was sooo cute, a real old fashioned all American General store, and got a coffee to perk me up.  Now I really can't afford any of this my current budget is $30 per day and my campsite is costing me $38 but I do know that I need to drink water and eat something, the coffe was an unnecessary luxury but I did savour it!

A further stroll and I found the beach, which was small but nice and I settled in for the afternoon listening to my ipod until the battery bloody died (and I don't have a charger George has it!). Then read my book and soaked up the sun, had a swim and headed home I don't have a watch or phone so really I had no idea what the time was just guessing by the sun that it was between 5-6pm, which it turned out it was.

I felt quite relaxed it was nice to spend the afternoon just suiting myself, however as I got closer to camp I started getting anxious probably at the thought of spending the evening on my own.  So I decided that I would check my e-mails as soon as I got back in the hope that I had some friendly messages to cheer my heart and I did!! My friend Tracey had messaged me back but I would like to name and shame her as it took her about 10 bloody days!!!  Shelley had e-mailed me with news of their nuptuals, some weirdo fb'd linking me in his school feed and it stated he was following me erm....................never heard of him and if I did go to school with him I don't think I ever spoke to him!!  Also George e-mailed to say he was coming back tomorrow and that he missed me and loved me and was very sorry for any upset he may have caused.

So my evening has been spent, showering, and then I went to the market across the road and bought honey roast peanuts (2 for a dollar bargain!) and a watermelon slurpie for my dinner who said I wouldn't eat just because i am on my own, now this may be wrong but I added a large slug of gin to my slurpie!  Caught up with my blogging and responded to messages again and it is now 8.45pm here and pitch dark so I am heading back to my tent (I was sitting in the laundry area so I could plug in my laptop, to read for a bit before hopefully getting a good nights sleep.

So that was an interesting walk back to camp, I hadn't taken a torch didn't really think that one through, I ended up in someone elses camp and then when I finally navigated my way back to my camp with the aid of my laptop as a light.............I found the pitch opposite me is fully occupied by a french family (canadian i presume)  with about 4 kids a big fire going and their 4x4 practically in my pitch with its lights on full beam and rear lights for them to noisily picnic  and sing songs loudly in french...........terrific.

I didn't sleep well last night, there seemed to be a lot of comings and goings in cars and one kept parking in the middle of a field near my pitch, I think maybe kids parking up smoking weed!!  So i spent most of what should have been restful sleep time reading and convinced someone was going to attack my tent!

George came back and we made up and spent the day down at the beach lounging, walking and planning our future.  In the evening we popped along to a local eaterie but decided that neither of us were hungry enough to justify eating out so we headed back to camp stopping to pick up chips (crisps) a couple of beers and a can or margarita and spent the evening at camp.

It may seem a bit odd to all our friends and readers that we decided to have a couple of days apart but remember we have pretty much spent 24 hours a day, 7 days a week every week for nearly a year, who wouldn't be annoying each other a bit by now.  However I am very pleased to say that after a heart to heart and a bit of space to ourselves to put things in perspective we are still are very much in love and looking forward to our future together, although we still have a few hurdles to jump before we get there so no doubt it won't be all plain sailing but definitely worth it.

The next day was Saturday and we have booked to stay 2 more nights here at Shady Knoll and  we took a drive out to Chatham (nothing like our Chatham in Kent) where we sat at the harbour watching the fishing boats bring in their catch and even more exciting we sat and watched the seals where there were at least 5 at any one time less than 20ft away from us but there were litterally hundreds in the immediate area. Then we headed into the heart of the village where we did the tourist bit and browsed in the shops which were set up for tourists but had lots of interior design shop with beatiful linnens and blankets.

In the evening we showered and changed and headed to the lobster shack for dinner but I wasn't feeling great and didn't relish the though of eating seafood so we headed back to the Chowder House, near our camp, which we dismissed the other evening, where George had Lobster Roll and I had Liver and Bacon, I was craving home cooked, British style, food!

Sunday was spent being a lazy sunday with a chilled day at camp and a homemade salad lunch, reading and chilling then we booked one more night for Monday at the campsite, our last we promise, then headed off to Marconi's, a smokehouse restaurant, to share a BBQ dinner.  The waitress informed us if we wanted to share a meal we had pay a sharing surcharge but for that we got double of all the sides, we were planning to share because we knew the portion would be generous so we didn't want more sides................however she said if we order a side salad at $2.50 it counted as a second meal so we did that and stuck to tap water.  From there we took a drive down and looked at a couple other little beaches and harbours to kill time before.....................the most exciting part ................................the drive in movies. 

The drive in was only $9 each to get in and for that you got to watch two films The Campaign and then Ted, sharing popcorn and soda.  Both films were funny but we both preferred The Campaign.  A late night for us in the end which didn't see us getting ot bed until midnight and we had to be up at 6.30am for fishing, that is if I am well enough, probably due to the volume of food eaten but I have had stomach cramps, an upset tummy and been sick so fingers crossed I am ok during the night so I can still go fishing.

Monday, our last day on the Cape.  I survived the night so we set off to catch our boat The Yankee at Saquatucket Harbour.  We headed out for a very pleasant 4 hour fishing trip and we both caught lots of bass which were too small to keep so we had to through back, it is not very nice unhooking the fish, it's really tricky as they quite rightly try to wriggle free and while you try to get the hook out without damaging the fish further, quite sad really.  We also caught lots of Scup, the majority we had to through back but we kept 7 delicious looking fish for our dinner tonight and tomorrow.  Seven may seem excessive but they are fish about 12 inches from nose to tail and quite flat like plaice so the actual eating fillet you can get off them is quite small, so tacos tonight and pan seared fillets tomorrow.  We also had a lovely chat to a couple of Americans who had been to England and Barbara had been prior to her family trip about 40-50 years ago when she and her girlfriends hitch hiked around Cornwall and Devon, she confirmed our thoughs that Cape Cod was very similar.  Again we had a very interesting conversation about the politics and religion of America, although Obama is having a hard time off it if the people we have spoken to during our travels are representative of the election results he should be voted in again.  However after further discussion George and I concurred that the far right Republicans probably wouldn't strike up a conversation with Brits anyway so our assumption could be somewhat flawed.

After a very late breakfast at 1pm we headed back to camp where we read, computered, this is the first time we have had a campsite with wifi it is pretty handy and gives a bit of extra entertainment, while I did the laundry George bought supllies to bolster our provisions for our homemade, home caught fish tacos tonight and for sandwhiches for our journey tomorrow which will take us North.................................that is about as far as we hae planned to so some coastline north of Boston as it is supposed to be a bit more rugged rather than rolling.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: