Vancouver Island

Trip Start Nov 28, 2011
Trip End Dec 18, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Campsite 30k outside Victoria

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Saturday, July 28, 2012

A sky train, a bus, an amazingly scenic ferry ride and another bus later we arrived at our campsite, more through perseverance on our part as apparently despite the campsite being the only one in the area, a few minutes drive from the ferry port no-one had heard of it not even numerous bus drivers who drove by it daily!!!

The campsite was basic, no flushing toilets or running water except for cold drinking water taps, nice pitches though with picnic tables and benches and fire rings.  Our pitch was conveniently located opposite a bunch of noisy hicks, whose children looked like rejects from the Hills Have Eyes, there barking dogs, drunken dad and his eclectic taste in music from the beastie boys, cheesy pop to hideous 80's rock!!  Oh and did I mention their teenage son and his dirt bike, their other friends and family in the 3 sights surrounding them……………delightful!!  However we were out most of the day and found if we didn’t look the children in the eyes we were left alone!!  The good points about the campsite were that it was relatively cheap, well it should have been for the facilities on offer, it was on a bus route and you could have a fire.

We spent most of our time in Victoria with one failed attempt to get further to the village of Sooke......... due to the limited bus service hours we spent half the day on buses only to find the connections were only every 4 hours.

Victoria is lovely we arrived just as the annual buskers festival was coming to a close so caught a bit of that whilst eating snacks in the sun and really just spent our time wandering round, had coffee and used the internet, wasted most of a day trying to get further on the bus, shared fish and chips at yet another stall on the harbour front, which had such a long queue, I think we queued about 45 mins but again was worth it, the sun was shining and we had nothing better to do but watch the boats coming and going anyway.  Our big splurge was to go Whale Watching, which we had decided to do prior to coming to Canada then with the dwindling budget discounted it then decided that if we didn’t do some of the things we had planned we might as well go home so we booked and went. 

It was three of the most exhilarating hours I have ever spent on a boat!  We opted for the smaller boat which only holds 12 but is a faster, bumpier ride, (it is like the boats the coastguards use) it was soo fast and bumpy at times and sooo cold as well but a real thrill ride, the weather was overcast and windy further out of the bay and at one point it looked like we were heading into the eye of the storm, at a rate of knots.  Unfortunately The Orca’s had moved up the coast a day earlier so we didn’t see any which I must confess to being a little disappointed at but there is always next time..We did, however, see Humpback Whales 2 different groups........a mum and her 2 year old calf, the mum was 50ft long (our boat holding the skipper, engine and 12 people was only 25ft) it was amazing to see them moving fluidly in and out of the water in unison and we also saw another group, all spotted first by the blow holes shooting out water giving their positions away In the ocean.  En route back the skipper stopped at Race Rocks Lighthouse, which was picture perfect and the rocks to the north of it had seals galore who seemed to gladly put on a show for us which was fun to watch.

Overall we enjoyed out time on Vancouver Island but really if you come here you need to hire a car because although there are buses they run in a countryside fashion serving only really a couple of times a day making it impossible to cover the distances on public transport.  We would definitely recommend coming to visit the Island and hope to come back ourselves one day (and hire a car)!

So after 4 nights and really only 2 days on Vancouver Island we set sail again to the USA stopping first at the Olympic national park, so after our 6.30am rise from our slumber, a little confused snapping at one another, as neither of us are good in the morning, an hour’s bus journey, a cup of tea and a bagel we arrived at the ferry terminal, justified ourselves again to the US customs, although the lady was very nice and seemed more interested in confirming our details and hearing a little of our adventure than interrogating us, which was a nice change, we boarded our ferry to Port Angeles where we have to then catch two buses to Kalaloch our campground by the Sea in the Olympic National Park.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: