Goodbye Singapore - hello again UK!

Trip Start Jan 23, 2013
Trip End Jul 23, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Singapore  ,
Monday, July 22, 2013

Terry had an awful night, he didn't know whether it was the food he had eaten at lunchtime the previous day or whether the spitting incident was playing on his mind. He was up and down all night anyway and said he only got a couple of hours sleep.

We checked out of the hotel at midday but arranged to leave our bags in the hotel as our flight back to the UK didn't leave Singapore until 22.55. We decided to head toward Clarke Quay, a historical riverside quay situated upstream from the mouth of the Singapore River and Boat Quay.

The area was less busy than many of the other places we had visited, and the shopping mall much smaller. Clarke Quay is known as a dining and entertainment destination which apparently comes alive at night. We took a stroll down through the little lanes of coloured buildings, but most of them were closed, so we ended up wandering into the shopping mall again, where we sat in the cool and had coffees and some yummy cakes.

We returned to the hotel around 16:30 but didn't really want to leave too early for the airport, so went up to the Halo bar for a couple of cold drinks. We were pleased to see that the spitting barman was not working, but that the other one who had witnessed the exchange of conversation the previous night, was. We ordered a couple of Coca Colas and went to sit on our favourite stools overlooking the City. We were about half way through our drinks when a smart gentleman, who we later learned was the bar manager, came over to chat to us. He was asking us what we thought of the hotel and Singapore and seemed intent on making a positive impression. Terry reckoned the other barman had told him about the spitting incident the previous night - it did seem a little weird that when Terry asked for the bill he waved us away and said they were 'on the house'

We caught the 18:00 shuttle bus to the local train station, Outram Park, and took the train to Changi Airport. It only took just over half an hour to get to the station and it was interesting looking out of the train window at the changing views as we moved out of the City.

We were able to check in our bags immediately, but still had 4 hours to waste at the airport. We walked around the Duty Free shops but ended up finding a cafe with some really comfy armchairs, where we bought a coffee and took root, until we were called to the gate to board.

Our travels had come to an end, but it felt good to be going home.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Dad on

Welcome Home See You Soonxxx

Richard & Sharon on

Welcome home look forward to seeing you soon.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: