Dicky Beach, Caloundra - Mooloolaba - Noosa

Trip Start Jan 23, 2013
Trip End Jul 23, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Friday, May 10, 2013

We had intended to stay a couple of days around Dicky Beach as the campsite was right on the beach, but the weather did not look promising enough to chill out and sunbathe, so we decided to pack up and move on. Typically, by 10:00 the sun had come out and the grey clouds were moving away, but by that time the decision had been reached to drive the short distance to Mooloolaba. That seemed to have more to offer than Caloundra anyway.
We discovered that Dicky Beach derived its name from SS Dicky which is shipwrecked very near to the coastline.

I don't know what had happened overnight but every time we stopped at traffic lights or in a queue of traffic, an awful smell emanated from Tubs. The smell was of 'gone off' onions and my guess was that it came from the 'grey' water tank which hadn't had to be emptied for a couple of days.
Even more embarrassing, Terry said that he could smell it when he was OUTSIDE of Tub's, especially when he was at the back doors. No wonder we were getting strange looks from other motorists who pulled up beside us, with their windows open.

We parked up Tubs in Mooloolaba and walked the short distance to the beach. By this time, the grey clouds had cleared and it was warm and sunny again. We walked for an hour or so along the sand, eventually peeling off into a cafe by the side of the beach, where we had a couple of coffees. During the time we were in the cafe the sky clouded over and it started raining however, after our coffees, we were able to look around the shops as they were all undercover. Terry pointed out a blackboard advertising haircuts for $30 which, as we had nothing better to do, I decided to take advantage of.

We left Mooloolaba at around 15:00. Tubs' smell seemed to have got stronger and I suggested again opening the cap a little and emptying the grey tank as we drove along, but Terry wouldn't hear of it. We had to have the windows open, or I would have been sick.

We arrived at the campsite around 16:30. The campsite was right on the banks of the Noosa River and very near to a sandy beach; there seemed to be enough in the nearby vicinity to keep us amused and I wanted Terry to have a break from driving, so we decided to stay two nights.

The first thing we did, sorry, Terry did; was empty the grey water. I hid inside Tubs as Terry fitted the appropriate pipe to the grey water tank and started to drain it. I peeked at the family occupying the site next to us, who were sitting outside their van enjoying the late afternoon sunshine and fresh air, and saw their expressions change as the peculiar smell of gone off onions suddenly filled the air.

As it was a little too early to start making dinner, we took a walk to the Noosa Head resort area. Much bigger than many of the other towns we have visited, it took us a good hour or so to look around the fashionable shops, cafes and bars that made up the town. Noosa definitely had more of a holiday resort feeling about it, and I was looking forward to returning when the shops were open!

We didn't return to Tub's until after dark by which time, the onion smell had diminished, thank goodness.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Mum on

I visulized in my mind the people who were sitting out enjoying the nice outdoors when Terry emptied the tank, I could just imagine their faces, and I had a darn good laugh.I wonder what they said to each other, maybe they thought Terry had a cronic touch of wind..

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: