Day 29 Cochin, India

Trip Start Mar 12, 2013
Trip End Jun 02, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  , Kerala,
Saturday, April 13, 2013

We have arrived in India!!  The sail in was marred by haze, otherwise it would have been beautiful. There were new hi-rises on the left, and low buildings on the right.  The weather is the same, hot and humid.  Might have been in the 90's today and humidity was up there as well.

First impression of India:  Love it.Sure, there is the hustle and bustle of city life, but that is India.  Lots of people, lots of tuk-tuks, chaos everywhere.  There must not be any public dumps, as they dump trash where ever they want to.  There were piles of trash everywhere. 

We got on our excursion about 12:30 and the coach was fully air conditioned and clean.  We visited St. Francis Church which is the oldest church, it was founded by the Portuguese in 1503.  The inside was plain but impressive.  The fans were mechanical, large pieces of fabric that moved from side-to-side.  The pews were wooden benches.

From there we were taken to the Chinese Fishing Nets.  However, as we got off the coach, there was an Indian blowing his horn so that his snake would pop out of the basket and do his thing.  Not for me, as I took off down the street.  Rich told me he had 3 cobras.  Way too many snakes for me.

The Chinese Fishing Nets were the largest nets I have seen.  There were long poles and they put these in the water and bring up fish.  Rich took many pictures so you can see what I am writing about.

At this stop we were given a short time to do damage to the wallets.  I found some neat things quickly as I spotted them on the bus ride in.  Rich was very agreeable to my purchases, amazing.

From there we went to Jew Town which is a huge market area with lots of little shops ranging from cotton clothes, spices, teas, jewelry, nicknack items.  It was fun to see what they had and to buy a few items.  We could have spent more time there, but we needed to move on to our boat cruise.

The boat cruise was an experience.  First the Captain of this boat decided he wanted to go, and he wanted to go now.  Instead of waiting for the other boats to get out of his way, he just went up to one boat and just about rammed him into moving.  This should have been an indication of our cruise.

The Captain was an older gent and I think his seafaring days should have long passed.  There was a large fishing boat that was making its way to port, and our little boat got caught up in the wake of the larger boat.  Instead of hitting the waves head on, the Captain decided to parallel the waves and we rocked and rolled way too much for me.  By the way, there was only one life jacket aboard this tiny boat. 

We then sailed on taking our pictures and enjoying the cool, calming ride.  Until......there were two fishermen in a very tiny boat, more canoe size, fishing with their net.  The Captain of our boat got caught up in their net, which by the way, was clearly marked with a bouy and a flag.  The two fishermen were hollering and yelling.  Finally, our tour guide snapped their net which by now was destroyed.  

We continued on enjoying ourselves until we rounded a small island.  Lo and behold, were the two fishermen.  They sailed right in the front of our boat, so we had to just about stop or run them over.  One of the fisherman was just out right fuming and he jumped aboard our boat.  I thought, oh no, we will be taken as hostages and thrown overboard.  He was ranting so much about his now defunct net.  We asked our guide what was going on, and he indicated that they were now entering negotiations.  The nets are expensive and now these fishermen, not only lost their net, but their wages as well.  The heated discussion went on for some time, until finally they cooled down enough.

We finally got to the end of our ride, safely and without further incident.  Do not know what will happen to the fishermen, but hope they get their new net.

Tonight we dined in Compass Rose and enjoyed our last meal there until Wednesday evening.  We leave tomorrow at 4:45a for the Taj.   It will be a 3 hour plane ride to New Delhi, India where we will spend the night, and on Monday we will see the famous Taj.

I will not be blogging until we return on Wednesday.

Until next time...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


rulian.fiske on

Oh, I hope the cruise boat compensated the fisher men about the fishing net the boat destroyed - that was those two men's livelihood ....

Marcia on

Well, I finally caught up on your info. Pics have been fantastic! Sounds like you're having a good time, with a few incidents thrown in there, but glad you're having fun! When are you going back and to where???? Take care............

Lea on

Looking forward to pictures of the fishing nets. Glad that captain sailed you on a small boat through a relatively safe harbor and not your cruise ship.

Lea on

Interesting fate of Vasco da Gama!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: