Back to Vientiane
Trip Start Nov 03, 2008
24Trip End Feb 20, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
On Thursday we visited the Lao National Museum, which used to be called the Lao Revolutionary Museum and still retains a rather, erm, revolutionary take on the history. To give you a taste, here are a few captions under photographs from the exhibition on the 1960-70s:
1. "The unconditional surrender of the German fascist to the Communist Red Army"
2. "Fighting to liberate the country from the American imperialists and their puppet soldiers"
3. "Guns used by the puppet soldiers to kill courageous Lao people"
4. "The spring used by comrade Kaysone Phomvihane during gymnastic session when elaborating on a plan"
5. "People of various social classes uprising"
(The museum showcases all aspects of past and present Lao hostpry, including a section on what each section of the government does - here as some captions for this exhibit:)
6. "The fraudulent stamp used illegally by the Bad Social Element to act to offend"
7. "The equipment used by Bad Social Element to addict drugs"
8. "The burglary equipment used by Bad Social Element to act burglary"
They also had various glass cabinets full of stuff a revolutionary used during an escape from a US military prison, including a giant tea pot and at least three different rice pots, baskets and socks he wore at the time of escape. Impressive to say the least...
We visited a music shop in town and Luke purchased a travel guitar and Heli got a harmonica (in the key of D for those interested to know). So hopefully in a couple of months we will be the new beat combo sensation sweeping your airwaves!
The evening was spent typing up this darn blog (!) and having dinner with a friend of Heli's family. Tomorrow we start our journey through central and southern Laos with a swift 4/5hr bus trip to Tha Khaek, so if you don't hear from us it probably means we tried to overtake an elephant again but were not so successful this time!
Hope you are all doing well and not forgetting to regularly apply sun tan lotion when going out in this weather! (unless its not sunny and warm where you are?? :)
H & L