Pancake rocks

Trip Start Sep 12, 2005
Trip End Sep 11, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Wednesday, December 14, 2005

So, Sun (11th) I decide to head off down the west coast on my tod to a place called Punakaiki where there are these 'famous' Pancake rocks. Pretty cool, not that spectacular, but certainly better than the prospect of spending a night in either Greymouth or Westport which were my other options before heading to the glaciers. There isn't a hell of a lot to do in Punakaiki though - the entire place consisting of my hostel, a campsite and info centre with cafe and a pub (which I had yet to discover). What I DID discover though, was that I'd left my stinking trainers (the ones covered in mud) in Abel Tasmen National Park. Damn. Now all I have are a pair of flip flops - I don't even have any Jesus sandals, which considerably limits my ability to attempt quite a few tracks - especially in the rain. Nay mind. I met a really nice German girl called Jo and we hung out together trying to relieve each other's boredom. It started to rain and really, I find that there's bugger all to do in New Zealand when it rains, which, quite frankly is a fairly common occurrence. I now understand why the Maori's named NZ 'The Island of the Long White Cloud'.

So, I'm waiting around Mon (12th) afternoon for my bus to take me to Franz Josef glacier, Jo having left by this time, when two of the guy from Nelson show up; Chris and Ben. They have beer so that pretty much clenches the deal and I stay on an extra night. A good five hours was spent that evening in the spa with the beers before heading to the aforementioned pub. Oh, and I thought it would be a fantastic idea to run into the sea before heading into the spa in order to appreciate it more. Wow that was cold! But it was pretty cool sitting in a hot tub with a beer watching the sun set out to sea with a couple of dolphins riding the surf. Life could be a lot worse.

Tues (13th) morning I was due to go to a knife carving activity a few miles down the road, but when I awoke at 8:30am the head was having non of it. Instead, I left that afternoon, again in the rain, heading for Franz Josef where I was to meet up with Liz.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: