Belugas and BBQs

Trip Start May 08, 2010
Trip End Oct 23, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Saturday, May 15, 2010

Friday 14th May 2010

Was woken up very early by a really annoying fly, repeatedly hurling itself at my window. Yay. Had breakfast and chatted to Dylan and Eli and watched a show called Survivor Man which is completely insane. The guy gets blindfolded and dropped off in a desert or a swamp or some other equally nice location with some portable cameras and not much else, and has to survive for a week or make his way to civilisation etc. Its mad! Meanwhile Mum negotiated with someone on the phone to upgrade her plane ticket to premium so she would be a bit more comfortable on the journey home.

We decided we were going to head back over to Stanley Park and go to the Vancouver aquarium so went downtown and walked through the park in the sun (18ºC!). I must have taken about 200 photos of various things there as we walked around for two or three hours checking out all the tanks and exhibits. We were just in time for the whale show and I fell completely in love with the Beluga whales and their babies that were harassing a seagull that landed in their tank. We had a nice lunch at the café there and walked around some more before heading over to the gift shop, where I got no souvenirs but a lovely picture of mum in a stupid hat : ) Mum then decided that since everything in the gift shop had been too expensive, we needed to go back to Robson street to the shops there to get a few things for people before she went home. When we had everything we needed, we started off for home, fending off offers to have our "palms read by Robert" a hobo on the street. Hobos are literally everywhere here, it's really sad. Vancouver is the only place warm enough that they can survive a night on the streets so you tend to see them on every corner, or collecting litter to get money from recycling the cans and bottles.

Having escaped Robert, we got home and made plans to go kayaking again lol which were again, cancelled, this time in favour of a BBQ on the beach. I walked down to Jericho with Dylan, Eli and Steve and met about 10 more of their friends in the space of 5 minutes and can only remember the name of the one girl in the group, Yana. We picked up the BBQ from their friend Chris’s house and it was taken down in a car while the rest of us walked the rest of they way. I’m going to be so healthy with all this walking everywhere, but my feet are starting to hurt! After finally making it to the beach and having some (illegal in public) drinks, we had just set the grill up when Jane rang Dylan’s cell to tell us that they had come to pick us up for our own BBQ since it was Mums last night in Vancouver. So Dylan and I said our goodbyes and left everyone playing volleyball and crammed ourselves into the car with a huge picnic basket, a grill, a tank of gas, bags of food, both dogs and Breesha and headed over to the other end of the beaches to set up by the dog beach so Rosie and Sam could have a run around.

After a very nice dinner we called in at the house of one of Jane’s friends Isabelle and when the “grownups” decided they wanted to stay and chat, we “kids” were dropped off home to do whatever so mum and Jane could go back and talk for a bit. Dylan went off to meet Eli and Co and I stayed to look after Breesha and watch Glee (yes, I am now converted).
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: