Sick Dayz

Trip Start Feb 07, 2006
Trip End Aug 07, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Paraguay  ,
Monday, February 13, 2006

Make sure to check out Andrea's Travel Blog for more stories and photos of our trip!

Day 4 - "Today's Forecast: Thunderous diarrhea with scattered vomiting"

On Day 4, we'd planned to help the local Plan office conduct surveys in the local villages and take pictures of local children which would later be sent to sponsors back in their home country.

I'd received many photos and letters over the years from Fabiola and was keen to go along to see how it was done.

Unfortunately, an assault of ravenous local bacteria got the best of Andrea's tender stomach.

"I'm sick" Andrea muttered as she tried to steady her trembling hands.

Her face was colored a light sickly green and her eyes were heavy from a serious lack of sleep. Andrea had spent the night sleepless with explosive diarrhea echoed by violent bouts of vomiting. It was needless to say that she was in a very unpleasant situation.

I sat up with Andrea most of the night and when Augusto finally arrived in the morning, we hunted down some re-hydration solution from the pharmacy. Poor Andrea was bed stricken, dehydrated, in pain and very tired when it came time to go into town.

She wasn't going anywhere.

We re-arranged our plans for the day and Andrea curled up into the fetal position on the bed where she slowly recovered.

The Annual Progress Report

At 1pm Andrea was feeling well enough that I could leave her in the room alone for a few hours. I made sure she had all of the supplies that she needed and went to see the family where we were to visit some local residents in the community to conduct the Annual Progress Reports (APR).

The APR was a paper form which was filled in by the children once per year along with an updated photo. This information was then sent to the sponsor so that they could track the progress of their child.

After a long discussion with Augusto where he explain the entire system and answered my many questions, we began the surveys, going door to door.

In all we visited families who where all very friendly, one family even gave me a big bag of bananas to take home.

Although I didn't speak Spanish, I could tell that a recurring theme of their discussions was Andrea's condition.

All of the family's expressed their concern and for some odd reason, chalked up her illness to drinking Thedede an eating yogurt soon after which didn't seem to make much sense to me.

Fabiola lived in such a small community that each family we visited I'd already met. First it was the family to gave the sermon at church, then it was Fabiola's grandparents, then the lady who sold beer at the fair.

In only a few days, we'd met most of the very friendly locals.

We finished up our surveys and I hurried back to the hotel to see Andrea. She was watching movies on the laptop and feeling slightly better when I arrived.

She had regained some color and was also showing good signs of recovery.

To be safe we rescheduled the next day to make it a little easier for Andrea and took it easy for the night.

Day 5 - The long road to recovery

A Gravol induced night of sleep did wonders for Andrea. She was looking well and we were set to pick cotton in their fields when Andrea's stomach decided it wasn't yet done tormenting her.

"It hurts" Andrea moaned clutching her stomach.

We cancelled the morning's activities and I stayed home with Andrea to watch over her as she slept the pain away.

Later in the morning, the Plan head office had heard of Andrea's condition. It was clear to me that she was getting better but they didn't want to take a chance.

"Chuck thinks that we should get her a doctor" Augusto informed me over the phone.

I agreed and Augusto went off to seek help.

Having been sick many times in foreign countries, Andrea was in good hands already and I wasn't too worried but it couldn't hurt to be safe.

After a brief visit from the doctor, Andrea was prescribed a healthy dose of rehydration fluid and a day in bed.

We canceled the events for the day and I stayed with her to nurse her back to health.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: