Nah Trang, Vietnam

Trip Start May 27, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Vietnam  ,
Sunday, June 25, 2006

Our 12 hour bus ride to Nah Trang was rather interesting to begin with. We met up with Kevin again who showed us a note that he had been handed which was actually more of a threat. Back in Ho Chi Minh City whilst checking out of the hostel lets just say there was a argument over $2 between Kevin and Vivian (a Canadian girl we met) and the hotel manager. A bit of a misunderstanding which resulting in Kevin being handed a message of doom reading "You pay for what you eat right? I will fuck you on the bus tonight!" We hoped this meant he would be bashed on the bus that night and not how it read literally. Approximately half an hour into the bus ride the bus came to a stop...we happened to look out the window and notice the hotel manager circling our bus on his motorbike and trying to peer in at all of the people. We all ducked down as the hotel manager knew we were all travelling on the bus together. Mainly concerned about Kevin though, we hid him under the seat and out of view. Kevin's heart was pounding as he had no idea what this guy could be capable of and whether or not he may be part of some kind of Mafia. This was an exciting and scary five minutes, our lives flashed before our eyes and we were so thankful when we arrived safely in Nah Trang early the next morning that we kissed the ground passionately.

Our first day in Nah Trang after a short Nana nap we headed out to venture the town of Nah Trang...known as Vietnam's party town. We spent the day with Kevin our new found friend. As we walked along the streets we were handed numerous leaflets advertising cheap drinks and free shots....yes that's right you read correctly FREE shots! There was no time to think about dinner with such wonderful offers shoved in our faces, so we headed straight for the closest bar to our hostel and were warmly welcomed by the 2 ever so friendly guys that worked there. They made everything sound too good to be many free shots as we liked and mixed drinks were 2 for 1 so worked out to just over 50 cents each. We were joined shortly by Boris a guy from New York who we also met on the bus. The 5 of us started off with some mixed drinks...(may we add that these drinks must have had at least double shots)and some friendly games of pool...then before we knew it we had each had countless free shots. Then somehow we miraculously made it to another bar who were advertising ridiculously cheap buckets so again we could not resist such a tempting offer. We met up with Vivian and Mark and all went onto the next bar together. The next thing we remember was sitting in the ocean in our clothes in the early hours of the morning. On the way home Lauren was offered a FREE scooter ride home by one of the locals. FREE was just too good to be true! Without thinking twice Lauren jumped on the back of the motorbike and was on her way to.....well she didn't know the name of the hostel, or the address or how to get there and the guy did not speak English...put all these together and this becomes a bit of a problem. Fortunately after a spin around town she spotted Chris and Christa who were also a bit lost and had booked a tour with a guy on the side of the road. Needless to say the tour never went ahead. We eventually found our way back to our hostel.

We still don't know how we managed to get up the next morning but we boarded a bus bound for a day on a boat travelling to 4 different islands. Christa was a little sick on the boat but swears it was due to sea sickness. The boat trip was a fun packed day full of swimming and a bit of snorkeling. We enjoyed a seafood lunch and some dancing to local music which they called a "Boy Band" and then more swimming after lunch. The boat was 2 story's so people could jump off the top of the boat as the water below was quite deep. After lunch they opened up the "floating bar". This was basically a guy sitting in the middle of a rubber tyre with a huge tub full of numerous bottles of wine. The taste of wine cannot be explained better than "Fermented radiator fluid". People surrounded the man in the floating bar who urged us to drink more and more and did not want to see anyone with an empty glass. Everyone floated in the water each having our own floating life bouys and ever so tasty wine that went straight to our heads. In the back ground the boats pumped some groovy dance tunes to add to the setting. We then went onto an island where Lauren enjoyed a cheap manicure by a local woman. We then went on a basket boat where we were lied to and ripped off by some ladies. We would have had an alcohol free night that night however Australia was playing Italy in the World Cup which we had to support and force Kevin to cheer on Australia with us.

After dinner we grabbed our Aussie flags and headed to Why Not bar to watch Australia play Italy. Lets just say we were not so happy after the game...tears were filling up our eyes but that didn't stop us to continue partying. We danced a bit and met some guys from Denmark who we went to the Sailing Club with. They told us about the time they had in India and how 5 bombs went off during their time in New Delhi. This got us extra excited about India and our spider senses were tingling. It was soon time to leave the sailing club as Christa fell asleep on a banana lounge (deja vu) and began to sleep talk.

On our walk home three lady boys approached us...seeming not too harmful at first they began to feel us up. However they had an alternative motive to steel our money...they frisked our pockets and grabbed our arms. We yelled at them and told them to leave us alone and tried to push them off us. 2 other lady boys arrived shortly after on a motorbike and rode next to us. Fortunately one of the lady boys who was holding onto Christa and Lauren tripped over so they all stopped and we got away.

After a sleep in that was long overdue we headed out to the mud pools and mineral springs with Kevin for a day of relaxing. The mud pools were quite organised and surprisingly clean as they fill up each bath when you arrive and empty it after each sitting. After sun baking with the mud on us like walruses we danced in the outdoor hot spring showers. Then we enjoyed a hot mineral bath which we quickly learned that we hated. Just picture having a hot spa on a 30+ degree day...just divine! We then arranged a marriage for Kevin with a local girl of 18 years. Needless to say ended in tears and divorce and a messy custody battle.

Later we boarded the bus bound for Hoi An where we would quit drinking.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: