Charlemagne is my Homeboy

Trip Start Sep 17, 2006
Trip End Dec 23, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of France  ,
Wednesday, November 8, 2006

During the regular week this week I didn't do much (again). I stayed home a lot and hung out with Meg. She keeps buying moves and shows and things from itunes, so we keep staying to watch them. I did go to the Nation to Nation party last week. We went late because Meg, Jennifer, Taylor and I went to the Prague Jazz Festival at a club called Lucerna. It was so fun. There was this woman singing like old school bluesy, funky, cool songs (IN ENGLISH!!) she looked like an older fatter Tina Turner and we kept yelling for her to sing "Proud Mary" but she never did. From there, Taylor and I went to the Nation to Nation party at (yes, I went there again) Face to Face, the worst club on earth. This time it was better because I discovered the basement. I never knew that had one, I thought the upstairs was all they had. The music is better in the basement anyway. I got super sick there though. There were all these people downstairs smoking dope, and as most of you know, I am over weed. There is no love for weed in me. I think it smells bad, tastes bad, makes you feel bad, generally, not pleasant. Anyway, I started to feel sort of bad, and I asked Victor to get me some water and when he hadn't come back for 20 minutes, I had to leave. I just went and sat on the cold patio where these really weird guys tried to talk to me. I finally got on the bus and went home. I think that Face to Face is cursed. Every time I go there, something miserable happens. I hate it. Blah.

Wednesday was Ken (from AZ) and John's (from CSU) birthday, so there was a group of us who went out to celebrate. We went to Juve, then CoCafe. It was a nice night, I was in early and went to bed.

Thursday I went to my classes, then after, Ramses, John, Meg, Jennifer, Jessica, and I went to Buffalo Bill's Tex-Mex for dinner where I had the biggest burrito. It was yummy. Again, we tried to make it an early night because.... we were going to Paris in the morning!!!! I went home and packed while watching Gigi. I love that movie, Leslie Caron is sooooo damn cute!!

Anyway, we left so early in the morning (like 4:45 am) and arrived around noonish. We went straight to our hostel to check in and drop off our bags. After that we decided to check out our neighborhood and get some lunch. After that, we headed to Centrum (the city center) and met up with our friend who was in Paris that weekend by some freak coincidence. We met Tyler at Notre Dame where we looked around for a while and then went inside. After that we walked for like 2 hours to get to the Eiffel tower at night. I found some funny quotes about the Eiffel Tower. The first one is from the man who built the damn thing, "France is the only country in the world with a 300 meter flagpole." My personal favorite is from Guy de Maupassant a Parisian writer who ate lunch everyday at the Eiffel Tower's ground floor restaurant because "that was the only place in Paris from which you couldn't see the offensive thing." I think that its hilarious how much Parisians hate that thing. Ha! After the tower, we had dinner then went home to bed.

We got up really early on Saturday because we wanted to get to the Louvre before it got really crowded. Mission accomplished. We walked around, saw the Italian Painters hall, where the Mona Lisa is housed, then hit up the large scale French Paintings hall. Some of those paintings were larger than my first apartment. They were HUGE! COLOSSAL! After the Louvre, we walked through the royal garden "Jardin les Tuileries" where we stopped for lunch. I had "un Croque Monsieur" which is essentially a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, and some red wine. After lunch, we headed down the Champs Eysses, toward L'Arc de Triomphe. On the way, we stopped for some Nutella filled crepes (mine had bananas in it also, it was amazing) and eventually, we got to L'Arc de Triomphe. This was really cool. Then onward to the Eiffel Tower (part deux)! Up the tower we went, and when finally we came back down we were totally exhausted. Back to the hostel we went for naps and showers before our fancy French dinner that night with Tyler in the Latin Quarter.

We finally got up and out at around 9 pm for dinner, and on the way there, the Metro police found a bag that they thought was a bomb at the stop we were supposed to get off at, so we were detoured to another. Then another. By the time we finally met Tyler by Charlemagne's statue at Notre Dame, it was like 10 pm and we were STARVING! We were walking to the Latin Quarter for our dinner when all of the sudden, all the streetlights, houselights, lamps, signs, flood lights, and safety lights went out, and what sounded to me like an air raid siren went off. Even the lights that were so effortlessly highlighting Notre Dame behind us were out. Literally, on the other side of the street, everything was fine, normal... Odd... We found out today that the possible bomb threat and the lights out weren't related. There was no bomb, someone just forgot his backpack, and there was just a blackout in that district. No big deal.

Dinner was good, I had turkey with blue cheese, fries, french onion soup, and chocolate mousse for dessert. Everything was so good, but because we arrived so late to meet Tyler, we were late eating, and then missed the last metro home at midnight. We had to walk. This was when Jen decided to have her allergic reaction to beef. Cold. Dark. *Almost* Lost. Allergic? (Suck.) Home. Sleep.

The next day was the relaxing day. We slept in until 9 am then went down for our free hostel breakfast. That was really... well, it was almost food wasn't it? After that, we headed out to Montmarte. We saw the park, and went into Sacre Couer. Then went shopping on the little street at the end of it all. Cheapest souvenirs in France. Nice. We had lunch in a cafe called "Les Oiseax" which (if I remember correctly) means bird. I remembered a lot of French over the weekend. By the end of it, I had become the group interpreter. It was fun. I didn't think that I ever knew that much, or really anything that would be functional in France, but hey, I'll take what I have and not complain! After lunch, we went to Musee Dorsay and it was FREE ENTRY!! How cool is that?! I guess it is free on Sunday afternoons. Anyway, I saw Cezanne, Renior, Monet, Manet, and many many others. Is was really amazing. I love museums. I am a dork. We ate our dinner and went home. The next day, was Monday, and we had another early morning as we had to get home before our 4:15 pm class. Made it, whew!

Monday night was catch up on sleep night and I didn't do much. I think I was in bed by like 10:30 or something crazy like that. I don't remember the last time I was in bed that early. Last night was Nation to Nation this week at Mecca. It was fun, but again, I left early and was in bed by 1 am. I know that sounds late for normal people, but here, that is just shockingly early. There are still children up at that hour! Practically anyway...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: