Off to the lakes!

Trip Start Nov 10, 2010
Trip End Nov 24, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  , Lombardy,
Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It's our last day in Italy, and we're off to see one of the sites that Carl didn't get to see the last time he was here...Lake Como. This is a huge lake north of Milan, right by the Alps. We got up semi early to catch a train to Varenna (small town on the lake), and we left our luggage at the hotel. We would have to come back later to pick it up to go to our next hotel tonight. The ride was uneventful, and the scenery wasn't much to speak of until we got closer to the lake. From the train we could see the lake and the Alps!

Once In town, we needed to buy tickets for the ferry to get to the next town. But like almost all transportation in Italy, the ferry was about 40 minutes late. To kill time we walked around the pathway by the lake for awhile. The views were great, so it wasn't to much of a hardship :) Finally, the ferry arrived. We sat at the top of the ferry to get a better view, even though it was freezing out! I can't believe it hasn't snowed here yet. The ferry was just a short ride across the lake to Bellagio (translates to "beautiful lake" In Italian). This side of the lake is the wealthy side, supposedly they made their money smuggling cigarettes after WWII. Very pretty town, and I managed to find another souvenir :). We had lunch at a restaurant overlooking the lake, and finally I ordered something other than pizza or pasta!

After lunch, it was getting late in the day, and Carl wanted to see the town of Como, which is way on the other side of the lake. This time we took a rapid service ferry and got to see a lot of the lake on the way. Como was bigger than Bellagio, but it wasn't as pretty -too commercialized. We only walked around for a little while, and then we had to board a train back to Milan. Now this train had to be the most sketchy ride we had taken yet, I was glad our trip would only take about an hour. We arrived at the metro station by the Doumo, so had to take the metro to the main station. Not too much later we were headed back to our old hotel, picked up our stuff, and sought our new place. Carl had booked this hotel before we left for Italy, so I never saw Picts of what it looked "hotel" looked more like the hostels we stayed at in the UK. We thankfully got our own shower, but the toilet was a community one, with a flimsy lock on it. I really hoped I didn't have to use it much.

We dumped our stuff, and headed out for our last supper at a place Carl had spotted last night while he was trying to find a supermarket. The place was hopping about halfway through our meal. It wasn't bad, but not the best we've had. Finally, we trekked back to the hotel and immediately got ready for bed, it would be an early morning bus ride to the airport ( about an hour away).

I have to admit that I'll be glad to get back home. 2 weeks in a foreign non-English speaking place is enough for me :)
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: