Trip Start Jan 24, 2010
Trip End May 10, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Ireland  , County Dublin,
Monday, March 1, 2010

Friday morning came really early, especially since I was really sick the night before. Thankfully I had already packed and was ready to go... the shuttle driver was waiting for us and was getting a bit antsy. Rush hour traffic was bad, but we finally got to the airport in perfect time... our driver was skilled in squeezing through traffic with the trailer. Anyways we board the plane and pass out immediately... we wanted to be well rested for Dublin!!! :)

Ryanair wasn't such a bad flight... they advertised the whole time and tried to sell you shit. They even had these cigarettes that didn't need fire- crazy. I don't know, they said if you can't wait to have a smoke break, try theses cigs. Haha what has the world come to. I bet they were gross anyways. When we got off the plane it was so random because we had to walk through these passages to get inside the airport... it was weird, but I guess that's Ryanair for ya. We had to stop for a bathroom break and Annie accidentally hit the alarm button instead of the toilet flusher. I was wondering what that loud alarm sound was haha. We took a bus to the city centre so we could get to our hostel (the bus was hippie-fied with quite a spectacular paint job). On the walk to find the Isaacs Hostel, we got a bit lost and ended up walked around town for a while. It was okay though, the weather was nice and we got to see more of the city. Some extremely friendly Irish ladies stopped us and asked if we needed help with directions, they were really sweet. We found that everyone is Ireland was soooo nice! It was pretty refreshing, not to mention the fact that everyone spoke English.

Our hostel was awesome. The common area had two rows of large tables and picnic seating... this is were you could eat, just hang out, watch TV, or meet other travelers. Also they had computers (machines haha) where you pay per the hour to use the interent. There was a kitchen that was open to use by others, so we were able to cook some food. There were many floors with rooms and then a basement with couches, sauna, TV, pool table, vending machines (vending machines with BEER), and tonssss of seating. It was an old wine cellar or it was really neat down there. Plus they never shut the basement down so you can just hang out there all night. Teen and I really wanted to hit up the sauna one night... but had an interesting encounter. Ladies time was 6-7pm, mixed was 7-8pm, and the men had 8-9pm. It was past 7pm, so we figured we would just go during the mixed sauna time. We didn't really think anything of it, or that there would be a ton of people in there. Our plan was just to go in our underwear and a towel... if it got weird we'd just put our towel around us. So we had to knock on the sauna door because our card wasn't working... a man answered the door (Teen was the one at the door) and Teen had the most shocked look on her face. A large man had came to the door completely naked, everything out. Apparently he was pretty scary and Teen wasn't so sure she wanted to go in. We debated for a while and then another man, Chris from Ireland, came up and thought about going in there. It got a little awkward, and after Teen peaked in one more time she knew for sure that we weren't going in there. Being naked with other people are fine, but when it comes to being scared of those people it's another story. Anyways we never went back to the sauna, but I wish we could have gone back during ladies hour... oh well.

During the day on Friday we ate some lunch at Kate's Cottage... it was this cute little Irish restaurant right down the road from the hostel we were staying at. After some really good soup, fries, and a Guinness (it was really nice to finally get some dark beer) we just walked around the city. Teen went back to sleep because she wasn't feeling so well... I believe she was getting what I had- everyone seemed to be getting sick. So we went to a few souvenir shops near Temple Bar and ventured around random places. Temple Bar is an area in town that has a bunch of different bars and such, not one actual place. I got some postcards and a rugby jersey... I debated on getting this rugby ball, but ended up leaving without it. When we got back I got Teen up and that's when we attempted to hit up the sauna (previous story). Ha after that failed we went downstairs to cook some pasta. We brought a tonnnn of pasta, but nothing else to cook it with. We ended up improvising (poor starving children are good at this) and just used salt (salt was the only thing on the community shelf)... other people in the kitchen were cooking this major meal and cutting up massive amounts of onion. It made our eyes water hard core, so we stole 2 small dices of their left over onion... haha. The noodles were actually realllyyyyyyy good! Haha it was a nice surprise. Everyone else had went out to eat, so after they got back we got ready to hit the town.

I was yearning for Irish music... so first we tried Kate's Cottage (their sign said they had live music), but that plan failed because there sign was actually wrong. They suggested we go to Celtic Bar to listen to music, so off we went. It was soooo awesome there- nice, cozy, and a lively crowd. The little man played awesome music, it was so much fun. We met a few folks too. Teen met some of her natives- Sicilians! Then we even met a guy that was from the Czech Republic- Vladamir! He has been studying English in Ireland for like 3 years... ha pretty neat. After Celtic Bar Annie, Katie, Vladamir, me and 2 of the other guys went to Pravda... a supposed 'local' club. Anyways the pubs in Dublin close at 1am and all the clubs close at 3am at the latest. We were used to places staying open till like 6am like in Prague.... haha it was definitely a change. Pravda was pretty cool, we hung out there for quite a bit... it was never my intention to even stay out that late, but hey- when your in Ireland... :) We finally made it back home and hit the sheets.

Saturday we woke up a little early and went on a free walking tour. It was so awesome because the girl was really into the tour and totally knew her shit. She was super enthusiastic about it too. We walked around for almost 3 hours and it was all really informative. At the end she suggested a few pubs and clubs to go at night. Then a bunch of the girls went shopping as Teen and I walked back and stopped at a rugby shop. I got some stickers, a badge to sew on my bag, and a 'traditional Irish pub singalong' CD... I was excited because I totally love Irish much and I thought it would be really awesome. No, this CD was totally like old people, ye-haw music... it was a small disappointment. Funny none the less. Late that day we all went to a pub to watch the Ireland vs. England rugby match- it was really intense since they are huge rivals. What an amazing game! Ireland won!!! It was really nice to be in a pub while everyone was sooo into a rugby match, that never happens back in America. I wore my Ireland rugby jersey proud... I was ready to celebrate. That night we went to 'Spy Bar' it was this really snazzy club that had a Victorian style. Tons of floors and people could dance in the window seals. It was an awesome club, except it was a 10 Euro cover charge. I never even bought a drink in there because I knew I was running low on cash... the cheap vodka sure didn't hold me over. Oh well, I was in a weird mood and had an 'okay' time. We had met new friends from Finland that were there with us so it was pretty cool. I mostly hung out with Samu, or I called him 'Cookie Monster' because he had this cookie monster hoodie/jacket on haha it was really funny. We finally left and when we all got back to the hostel I ended up hanging out with Samu and everyone forever. Ugh it was so late... so I slept in the next morning.

Sunday when I finally woke up I joined a few of the girls in lunch at this small little cafe. It was pretty good... then we just walked around and the other girls went shopping- again! These girls shop all the dang time. Annie, Katie, and I walked back and stopped by the internet cafe for a while. I was really excited to discover this place super close to our hostel. Then we decided to go to the cost for a few hours... so we could see the really scenic and beautiful side of Ireland. Teen and Emily C joined us. The place we went was Howth. Oh my gosh it was just like the movies... I fell in love, it was sooooo breathtaking! The sun started to go down so we hopped back on the train to head our way back to Dublin. When returning to Dublin we all went to eat at Kate's Cottage and chilled out while we watched the hockey game. I really wanted to go back to Celtic Bar and listen to some more Irish music, but everyone was passing out and didn't want to go. They started playing music in Kate's, but it wasn't nearly as good. Katie stayed the longest with me, but I could tell she was ready to pass out... haha I wanted to party. So I went back with her and chilled at the hostel. I found that Mandy was still awake so I stayed up and drank with her and a ton of other while we watched the hockey game. At one point I was talking to Paul- my friend I met from Australia- and he had his laptop on the table... the cord was hanging up a little while he was charging it. A man came behind him to walk and tripped over it... it took the whole laptop and smashed it on the ground. It didn't just fall, it straight up smashed hardddd on the ground. It was so sad. Paul was really awesome about it though, he didn't show anger and didn't get over worked up about it... I mean getting all pissed off and mad wasn't going to solve anything anyways. He just shut his computer and didn't want to look at it after he read the message that said 'internal hard drive error'. He had photos from 2 years worth of travels on there... gosh I hope he can retrieve them! Anyways a while after that they kicked everyone out of the common area and made us all go in the basement. I chilled down there with Rodrigo, Max, and some others I met. I continued to retrieve the Guinness out of the vending machines... haha this is awesome that they had a huge selection of beer in a vending machine! I met tons of others and hung out with everyone... then the night was getting later and people were clearing out so I decided to move on to the 24 hour internet cafe up the street. Ha so I got on there and skyped Carly for a little while, but I could never figure out how to work the video, so I just saw her the whole time. An hour later I decided I should at least get an hour of sleep... we had to leave to go back to Prague at 4am, and it was 2:50am! Craziness.

That hour came quick and so we were off to the bus stop. We waited for quite a while and then we finally boarded our plan- Prague bound. Ugh we got back and had just enough time to shower and then get to class. This sucked. I had yoga after studio and I kept falling asleep.... sleep was muchhhhhh needed.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: