One last trip into the park

Trip Start May 20, 2009
Trip End Jun 02, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Alaska
Monday, June 1, 2009

We set the alarm for 8:30 to make sure we didn't miss Terry's breakfast before we left! We had breakfast (french toast for me again) and then took our showers and started packing up. LJ bought a handmade ulu knife from Terry, he carves and makes them himself. We thought it would be a usable and meaningful souvenir from our time with them. We chatted with them a bit more before getting on the road, a bit later than planned but it was a very nice morning.

We made one last stop through Glitter Gulch for last minute shopping and then headed to the park for one last visit. We made it up to Savage without any wildlife spotting but LJ got some great landscape portraits. On our way back though... the grand prize! He spotted a couple of caribou on the right side of the road and we stopped and pulled over for him to take some photos and me to video. He was contemplating going out closer to them when the truck behind us that had stopped to see the caribou let us know there were moose on the right, not just moose but a cow with two calves! She came trotting through with the babies right behind and came right across the road in front of us and over into the field where the caribou were grazing. How beautiful! It was such a wonderful way to end our visit at the park!

We stopped by the Visitor Center on our way out because we hadn't had a chance to visit it yesterday and we ran into Kim and Dennis who were doing one of the Royal Caribbean CruiseTours. It was nice to catch up with them and hear about their past few days since we left the cruise ship. It was now almost 3 and we needed to still have lunch and get going towards Anchorage since the drive was 5-6 hours. We want back up to Glitter Gulch to eat lunch at the Salmon Bake, a famous restaurant in the area. LJ had a great cheeseburger and I had their version of grilled cheese and tomato soup - the sandwich was fantastic with sourdough bread and two kinds of melted cheese... yummy!

Back on the road and headed to Anchorage with me behind the wheel to allow for LJ to take photos, either while in the car or for me to start/stop and pull over for him to get out. We have speed photography down to an art! It was a good drive back with several stops, including a great beaver pond with two beavers working away (Go Beavers! In case you didn't know, that was my high school mascot). We got back to the city around 9, made our stop at FedEx to ship back the lens that LJ rented for the trip and grab dinner before heading to the airport for the shuffle of bags and trying to keep the fees to a minimum depending on our baggage weight - it should be fun! We'll go through Phoenix and then back to Charlotte around 5 PM tomorrow (Tuesday).

My recommendation: if you can go to Alaska - do it! It was the most extraordinary place I have ever been and I am so thankful that we were able to make this trip.

I hope you've enjoyed reading about the trip and it hasn't been too boring. I think it will be a big help to me as we compile our photos / video in remembering what and when we saw things. I have certainly enjoyed writing it during our trip.

Signing off from Anchorage,

Slideshow Report as Spam
Where I stayed
Anchorage International Airport
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: