Million Dollar Horses

Trip Start Feb 25, 2012
Trip End Feb 25, 2015

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Monday, August 27, 2012

Day - 189  A good place it was. Slept right beside the water listening to the waves splashing. The tide was the complete opposite here than at Carmila as it receded in the morning and came back in at night. A bloke dropping his boat in the water told us that we could walk to a nearby island once the tide has gone down. Sure enough for the next few hours we could see a sandbar emerging. We attempted to go to the island but had to stop as the sand bar was covered with coral so thick that there was nowhere to step unless you were wearing shoes. We were barefoot of course, so we walked back for lunch passing thousands more soldier crabs and the loneliest tree ever. This is one of the best parts of this trip, one day we are in a rainforest with snakes and such and the next we are on the ocean floor with marine life all around.
I got to backtrack to Thursday for a second. While at the beach that morning the three of us (Ash too) got approached by a bloke. He came asking if we were traveling and if any one of us was looking for a few days work. Ash was looking as it was so he took it and they left. Back to the present, Ash told me yesterday that he found more permanent work but the guy need one more day of help. I got his phone number and gave Les a call, one day ain't gonna kill me right? He gave me directions and told me to show up Monday around noon. It wasn't long before he called back and suggested us coming by tonight for beers and a BBQ. Do I have to say we said yes? We arrived at his place which happened to be on a horse farm.  Specifically one that specializes in race horse training. After meeting Cassie his wife and downing a few beers during the introduction period, we did walk over to the stables. There is about forty horses here with the dearest one coming in at just under $1.5 million. It is a huge training facility having a pool and even a full sized racetrack. The beers flowed steadily to a mixture of blues and rock music, and lamb chops sizzled on the barbie. We were outside the whole night even when the projector was turned on so we could watch music videos and sing along on the mic. The wind had other plans as it kept knocking over the projection screen. Good thing the van was parked right behind it as we finished the night with music videos playing on Herc's side. Good night with great company.
The next morning we sat around and watching the horses run around in the paddock before doing a couple hours of work. Les was building a custom trailer and needed help putting the side panels on as they were a little too big to handle alone. It didn't take long and we were back on the road mid afternoon. We wanted to make it to Arlie Beach but got side tracked by groceries and the beer store so we headed back to Shoal Point for the night.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: