Semana Santa

Trip Start Jan 17, 2007
Trip End Feb 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  ,
Sunday, April 8, 2007

What an amazing week of traveling!! I am so exhausted and perfectly content all at the same time.

Last week we had exams at school, I know crazy second graders taking exams (hard ones too), and my kids did OK. I know they say that when a student fails it is really the teachers fault, but really they have never taught my class. Only joking, I definitely have some things to re-evaluate when I get back into the classroom on Monday.

Friday was Sports Day so after my students finished their Science exams, we all went out to the playground and played numerous games put on by the sixth graders and also had a mean soccer match against the other second grade class. We tied 0-0 My kids all dressed in yellow and were very well behaved, surprisingly. My family, Pat, Jim, and Wiley also came by the school to witness first hand what I do on a daily basis. They were throughly impressed by my class and the rest of the school, well? The day ended with the sweetest little girl, Valeria falling into a medal rod on the playground and pretty much stabbing her leg to the bone. Very scary for everyone, but she never shad a tear. Then I went with the fam. to San Jose where Wiley caught a flight home and I spent a quiet evening with Pat and Jim. Topped up with a much needed Gringo dinner at Outback!

By Sunday I was back at home, with my bag already packed. The other teachers had left the day before for the other side of the peninsula, Malpais. So bright an early on Monday I got ready to take the ferry over. Then came a knock on my door, "We've been robbed!" You can guess my reaction.? I went down to Jewel's apt. to find everything had been ransacked and her TV was gone. So I quickly left the house to go tell her, she was in Malpais. I got to the sleepy town and checked my e-mail. Apparently the girls had left Malpais and went like 6km. away to stay in another little town called Montezuma. So of course I just went to Montezuma. To meet them there. I grabbed a quick breakfast and waited at a small cafe right downtown Montezuma (downtown, really the town is like 1/2 block wide and has maybe ten establishments, beautiful beaches though). And I waited, and waited, and waited, went to the beach and waited, waited some more, and some more, going on like 6 hrs. now. So I checked my e-mail, called home and nothing. So I got a little room, (picture attached) and decided not to wait anymore. I went for a walk on the beach and met a dad and daughter duo, Big Mike and Alison. They invited me to have a beer and we chatted about the states and Costa Rica. Alsion is a teacher in North Carolina and therefore we had a lot to talk about. After dinner, I tried the apt number again and finally Karie answered. Apparently they had called after I left to catch the ferry and Martin (our maintenance man) told them all about the robbery so they came right home. We surely crossed paths.

So I decided to make the most of it, I was planning on meeting another friend in Santa Teresa and Big Mike and Alison were headed there in the morning so I rode with them. We took a very long a scenic drive down to the bottom of the Nicoya Peninsula, Cabuya and Cabo Blanco National Forest. Absolutely breathtaking scenery there!! I loved it, I plan to live there at some point if that is the path I chose to take.

I spent most of the day with Big Mike and Alison, constantly looking for my friend whom needless to say never showed up!! So Mike was gracious enough to let me crash with them and they left early in the morning. I hung around the beach awhile longer and watched the surfers, (I was hoping to be able to surf in Santa Teresa). I finally took a few buses and a ferry back to Puntarenas on Wed. and mentally prepared to pack my bag again.

On Thursday I hopped on a bus headed towards Tamarindo, well waited for like 3 hours then hopped on a bus. It was Kevin's birthday so I stayed with him and all his friends at there Coastal Spanish Institute. We had a bonfire on the beach and I finally got to surf. I didn't get up exactly put I certainly went under, several times. I actually got pummeled twice. Literally in the water saying "Liz, do not worry you will not die, you will be able to breath soon." Then the board comes crashing into my head.  But I was able to knell and ride in a few white waters. Which made up for the semi-concussion. It was a great day sunburn and all!!

I just returned to Puntarenas  a few hours ago, Saturday. When I got to Liberia there were absolutely no buses today or tomorrow to San Jose or Puntarenas. They stopped all transportation Thursday and Friday, they sold no alcohol in observance on Good Friday. Seriously practically no one in the whole country worked on Friday. But I still had to get home today, so I had to practically interrupt traffic to beg a bus driver to let me stand the whole way to Puntarenas 4 hours. It was worth it, because I took turns sitting with a very nice gentlemen and I am finally at home!!!!!!

Looking forward to starting school again, kind of? and am already planning the next trip. NICARAGUA, yes I have to get my passport stamped next weekend, has it really been three months?
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


sarsandmatt on

whose Kevin? ;)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: