Home Sweet Home

Trip Start Sep 20, 2010
Trip End Dec 18, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United Kingdom  , London, City of,
Friday, December 2, 2011

We arrived into Heathrow at 6am.  It was a little surreal walking through the airport seeing the familiar British-airport signs for the first time in a long time. 
We had told my mum that we were coming back the next day so that we could surprise her, so instead of getting picked up at the airport we continued travelling for a little longer.  However we were very sensible and sat in the airport until about 9am so that we could avoid rush hour on the tube - we had a distant memory of horrific squashes!  We finally got moving towards the centre of the city and whilst we were waiting for the Piccadilly Line train in Heathrow terminal 5 I saw a Cadburys chocolate vending machine which I ran over and hugged.  In my defence I was very tired! It was a little unsettling how normal it felt on that first underground ride into the centre of London, as if we'd never been away. We had booked a late train up to the Midlands in case our plane was delayed so we had a day to kill in London.  First we met up with my Dad for lunch and then later on Robert met up with us and we had a couple more drinks with him.  When we finally got on the train we were excited to be sat in First Class - we thought it was a nice treat for us, although I'm pretty sure we looked out of place...  

Arriving at Mum's house was fun.  First we made the taxi driver pull past the house and we kept ducking down to avoid being seen - I think the taxi driver thought we were mad. Then Kevin had a panic moment when he thought Mum had seen him!  We made it to the front door without any more dramas and when Mum opened the door it was obvious our surprise had worked....she was very shocked but happy to see us.  After a couple of days with my Mum catching up we came back to London to find somewhere to live.  In record time we found ourselves a lovely place in Clapham, and then grabbed a van to drive all the way to Ireland to pick up our stuff.  No surprise here as Cally and Mick were expecting us!  It was great to spend time with them having not seen them for a year (ignoring all the Skype sessions) and also nice to get all my winter clothes back as it was a little chillier in Ireland than in Argentina. 

With Kevin back to work only 10 days after we got home we had to head back to London after a couple of days.  It's still very surreal to be back but we have some amazing memories and hopefully lots of interested family and friends we can talk about them to.  In the meantime we are looking forward to spending Christmas with my Dad and catching up with our friends :) 

It' almost impossible to know how to end this blog after such an amazing time. I don't think either of us regret a second of it and would give anything to be back at the beginning. Who knows, maybe our rucksacks wont gather dust for too long and we'll be off again sooner than we think.

Liz and Kevin. Over and out.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: