Heading south to miss the cyclones

Trip Start Dec 27, 2012
Trip End Feb 15, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  , Southern Province,
Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Latitude: 02*30' N
Longitude: 080*27' E

Another lovely day: sunny and warm, pleasant swell, only one injury per day so far. There is a saying on board: one hand for the ship- ie only hold something in one hand so if the ship lurches you have a spare one to grab hold of the ship with. It does often meet you end up going up and down the stairs a few more times though.

As the wind is in a good direction and the cyclone is going further north we could set sails and go sailing - sails all set first thing making for a pleasant sail and a more natural roll to the ship.

I had time to finish my drug spread sheet at long last, ony to be given the LSA check list to do! I has been told it had already been done for last month but it had not been signed for - so to check the equipment - after the laundry - I did have a moment today thinking - I went to medical school to sort through dirty men's pants! But I do get to sail around the world too!

Marco the chief engineer put up a hammock on the stern platform, not quite as comfortable as you'd hope, and not helped by the fact that the dustbins are above your head!

India is currently 4.5 hours in front of BST, apparently this unusual time difference was partly the British's fault, there used to be east and west indian times, but with the invention of the railway system in India they needed one time zone, and went for half way in between. So today as we traveled slightly more east we jumped 1/2 hour at 18:00 to 19:00.

Evening spent in the bar, first painting my finger and toe nails a glittery aquamarine colour - very appropriate for the colour of the sea this far south. Then I painted the BM's finger nails- David's right hand aquamarine and the left purple, then Max's alternately bright blue and bright red! No bribes or protests quite willingly! I did ask them to not touch anything for 30mins which they did but shortly after going to be they were called to take in sails due to a squal and were stuck up the mast trying to get the fore topsail in, unfortunately it ripped and needed attaching to the yard to prevent more damage! Safely to say their nails did not survive in tact :(
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: