Don't go drinking with sailors!

Trip Start Dec 27, 2012
Trip End Feb 15, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  , Kerala,
Monday, May 6, 2013

The morning started trying to finish the bedding - eventually winning after lunch!

The captain called as all to the lower mess for the morning meeting together (normally it is just the permeant crew,volunteers and watchleaders). He first explained that the sister ship Tenacious had run aground in Waterford but everyone and the ship were ok, she managed to get off quite quickly. Someone asked who the captain was on board and he declined to answer!

Then Chris explained to the whole crew (most people had headed the rumour of a delay so it was not too much of a shock) he explained how there was a cyclone between us and Malaysia right in our path, he had been studying it and had decided that the best thing to do was to go around it south to the equator! And there was another one brewing in the Southern Hemisphere but they don't like the equator and we could sail between them - that's the plan, but giving it a days head start we will not be leaving until tomorrow. I think a lot of people are quite excited about crossing the equator and I like many am a polywog (never sailed across the line before and met King Neptune, to confess your sins- apparently quite a ceremony has to be performed!)

Having not seem much of Galle and having finished my work for now, some of us went off after lunch: Steve the mate, Ron, Roger and Max the BM and me. We got a tuktuk, via the cash machine and went off to find the maritime museum at the fort, unfortunately it was apparently shut (as it was the previous day) so after a little shopping (post cards) we ended up in Mama's roof top restaurant for beers at about 15:30! It was tipping with rain - so not too much fun sight seeing. Great conversation and laughs and photos! After a couple of Lion beers and chips we headed to Unawatuna beach, and the Lucky Tuna bar and restaurant. No one else seemed to want to swim, it did look a bit rough and it was tipping down. Luckily as I was checking it out I found Robin who was happy to go swimming with me as the sun was setting in the pouring rain - lovely and so warm!

The rest of the evening involved wine, more beers, fish platter shared with Ron and me drinking with lots of male sailors - not a good idea on any level. I'm sure it ended up driving the tuktuk home (vague memories) apparently I fell asleep in the bar on board and was put to bed!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: