London! Yay!

Trip Start Aug 27, 2007
Trip End Sep 17, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  ,
Monday, September 3, 2007

Well guys can you believe it? I finally made it to London!
After one heck of a long plane ride I am officially in the land of double decker busses funny accents and mushy peas and man am I glad to be here.
I guess Ill start from when I arrived and fill you in all the goss. Well I arrived in Heathrow after a bit of a delay.....lucky for me I shared my flight with the All Blacks so had a bit of eye candy on the way.
I was met at the airport by Sonia and together we navigated the tube with all 46kg of my [checked luggage and 10kg of cabin luggage. What an absolute nightmare. To those of you who told me I packed too were absolutely right and you have officially earnt the right to say "told you so".  Lugging heavy suitcases up several flights of stairs in crammed tube stations is not fun!

 On the day of arrival Sonia, May and I went for a stroll to the Camden Markets and man was I in heaven....clothes ornaments, paintings and football shirts everywhere.
After a day of orientation we have gone to stay with Sonia's aunt and uncle in Watford. We haven't had a chance to do the touristy stuff yet but its been great staying here. Sue, Sonia's aunt has pretty much taken us shopping everyday and introduced us to local Hypermarkets like Asda, Tesco and Argos.
These shops are incredible they sell everything and have about 45 check out counters. On our first visit to Asda's we spent about 4 hours just walking up and down the aisles. Its mind blowing.
Clothes here are really cheap....amazingly so, however fresh veges and meat are so unbelievably expensive. We have had NZ lamb a couple of times and I swear it was so much better than the stuff you buy at home. Its like they export all the good quality meant overseas and the kiwis get the second grade.
Yesterday we had another shopping trip in the morning and spent the afternoon playing Singstar with Andy, Sue and the kids. It was great fun. Lots of singing and dancing.
Today we decided to stay at Sue and Andy's for a few more days as we have internet access and a phone which makes it easier for job hunting. I signed up at the local library where we stay for the internet but because theres so many people here you have to book slots and they don't have printers. Even the computer cafes don't have printers which is making it a nightmare to get CV's printed. Ah well.
Next weekend we are off to Great Yarmouth to visit one of May's friends. Apparently there is a maritime festival there so that should be lots of fun.
Next step for us now is to find jobs and then get a house.
So far im loving it here theres a few things which im having to get used to but I think im getting there slowly. Things like that you have to stand to the right on escalators as people pass on the left ( odd seeing they drive the same way as us) and how to flush a toilet. I know that sounds odd but they all have these odd handles that you turn and neither Sonia and I have figured out how to use them yet. Trust me we have asked how they work but they r more difficult than they look!
Well guys that brings me to the end of this entry but I just thought I would share some good news with you. I just had a call from the Flight Centre and I am through to the next round of interviews! Fingers Crossed!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: