Pembula Beach

Trip Start Jul 12, 2006
Trip End Jun 18, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Friday, December 8, 2006

Woken up this morning by one of those laughing crow birds sitting right about our van. I couldn't help but laugh because it sounds so funny. We drove via the scenic coastal routes today, getting off the highway as much as possible really. Lee spotted some Roo's, it took me a while to see them but once I worked out where to look I was really chuffed. I wondered how long it would take before I saw them. I really feel like I'm in Oz now. We stopped at a few places, Cuttagee beach, which was idyllic. Long golden sands with blue seas, no one around at all. We had a walk along the beach for ages, running along the top of the sand banks seeing how far we could get near the edge and run before it collapsed, sending us both tumbling down in a heap of sand. I also saw cuttlefish on the beach for the first time ever, lots of them. It was a shame we didn't have a budgie really. We stopped en route again at a little town for some fish and chips for lunch, which we ate outside at the top of a hill, over looking the sea. As we ate, a crowd of seagull scavengers surrounded us, waiting for a chip to drop of for us to be distracted enough so they could snatch some food. I kept squirting them with water to try and get rid of them before Lee pointed out they're probably quite used to water and it wasn't going to deter them. Some lads on one of the other tables chucked the gulls a few chips. The scrabble and squawking that ensued was hilarious. The fight that broke out between the gulls was incredible, proper pecking and stabbing at each other. One gull, that had a chip, was grabbed around the neck by another gull and wrestled with in this strangle hold until he let go of the chip and flew off chip-less and sore necked no doubt.

After lunch we drove towards Eden, via the tourist routes. Just as we joined the main highway again, Lee drove out the side road in front of a police car. He had enough space to do it but I think the policeman took exception because a few minutes after he drove right up behind us and put the blues and twos on. Lee pulled up and went to get out but was told to stay in the car. The cop told him off for stopping in the road and said he should have pulled over to the left, which Lee had done because there wasn't a should there or anything, but it didn't seem appropriate to argue. The licence thing was done and then Lee had to do a breath test, which, of course, he passed. The cop just headed straight off, obviously peed off that he couldn't do him for anything, and we headed on.

Pambula beach was sign posted off the highway so we decided to have a look, as we drove down the road and pulled up at the beach we spotted a campsite right on the beech with kangaroos running wild all over the place. It was fab. I was jumping up and down like some sort of demented child making Lee promise we could camp there for the night. We drove around too see how much it cost and Lee wasn't too impressed with the $30, until I reasoned that it was 12 UK pounds for the both of us and we probably wasn't going to get anywhere else tonight really. The hire company suggest you get to your destination by 6pm because at dusk all the animals come out and that's when you're more than likely going to run into a roo or a an emu or something. There's signs all over the van saying don't swerve for anything, also the sun goes down at about 8:30pm and once it goes down, it's dark, which means trying to sort out the bed or food is almost impossible. We do have a two lights inside the van but don't really want to waste the car battery. Anyway, after a bit of deliberation we took site F1, right over the other side of the park, away from everyone and by the beach and the roos. It was a lovely spot. We had a spot of food, the almost obligatory wine and beer and then set off for a walk along the beach which was right at our doorstep and also right next door to the Ben Boyd National Park. The sand was lovely, it was cold and felt like I was putting my feet in flour. The beach went on for ages. We walked to the left, with our feet in the water, looking out for jelly fish all the while, carried on for ages and ages, just splashing about in the water, talking about all sorts of things, then back again when the light got so dim you couldn't really see if the shapes on the beach were people or kangeroos.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: