The Package

Trip Start Jan 03, 2008
Trip End Dec 17, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  , Veneto,
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

So off we go to Venice in anticipation of picking up the package. Our first night at the Fusina campsite turned into a night of singing and dancing (yes and on the tables too). It was great to be around other kiwis and ozzies especially as the rugby was to be shown the next morning. There were ozzies working at the campsite and 3 bus loads of contiki full of kiwis and ozzies! A red bull rep, now a contiki driver remembered spud from Queenstown so we were all on it.
The next day we were up early to watch the rugby (well 9.30am with a headache is early) and then the rain started. So the weather continued to be unpredictable while we were there but we did manage to head out to Alberoni to the beach (YUCK) for a bit of a swim and play in the sand and do Venice.
With the package due to arrive on Tuesday morning we were getting very excited until we got the phone call...FOG throughout NZ meant delays and cancellations of flights...I would not get to see my mother for another whole day! We called her the package or the credit card in front of the kids so they had no idea she was coming.
So on Tuesday night at 8.30pm Grant started heading for the the weather was shitty (thunder & lightening) the girls stayed in the camper watching DVD's and thought we were just both heading to the bar to watch the soccer. Now as you all know Grant and his tendency to get things a bit muddled he gave himself plenty of time to get to the airport to meet mum's flight at 11.45pm...Well after ending up in the country in a bus telling the bus driver "YOU HAVE A PROBLEM"! (Grant claims he was told his stop was about 20 mins from the campsite, but this driver must have driven so fast as it was his last route and he wanted to get home to watch Italy play, Grant ended up at the end of the line not knowing where he was at all). The bus driver then drove him 15 mins back down the road (Spud's own private bus) to the train station to catch the shuttle to the airport. Now it is 10pm and he thinks I still have nearly 2 hours to get to the airport, he found out exactly where the shuttle left from and began to wait, and wait, and wait...these shuttles are meant to be leaving every 20 mins...and wait and wait! To cut a long story (I am getting cramp typing this out) shuttle, taxi ordered does not come, taxi reordered...everyone knows spud so this is becoming a nightmare...he finally makes it to the airport with a great taxi driver who ends up waiting for them both, runs to arrivals and the doors open and mum walks out...So they get back to the campsite where there we tears and hugs and beers for spud! And we wake up the girls...Jordan was over the moon and for the first minute cam didn't even register who it was then it clicked...I have never seen a face like it!
We were up and at it the next day, doing Venice again along with the canal ride Cam had been going on about which actually was an amazing experience even though it was 80 euro! We then took to the road with mum and were heading back across the country to San Remo on the Mediterranean coast. So little time so much to do!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: