Trapped in San Miguel by back paralysis & Avatar

Trip Start Oct 04, 2009
Trip End Nov 20, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hotel Monte Carlo

Flag of El Salvador  ,
Tuesday, January 5, 2010

San Miguel was never meant to be more than a stop off point, seeing as it's a charm is so extremely subtle that the highlight is a metro center featuring excellent fast food options with a volcano view.  

Due in part to our desire to see the movie Avatar (looking fwd to seeing in English, ha) and wanting to take a shower that was not being siphoned from a bucket, we jumped off to regroup closer to the border.  It's amusing when a garden hose style shower is a considerable improvement.   I mysteriously woke up and couldn't even roll over with acute back pain, so the 6 hour local bus travel day across both the Honduras and Nicaragua border got pushed back another $8 night and 24 hours.  Andy, back-pain experto, was very sympathetic. We bought $1 movies on the sidewalk and laid on our gold spray-painted bed smelling faintly of vomit all day.  We've had mixed luck with movie street vendors as no matter what they say, the quality is never guaranteed.  I wish we could return the movies that were taped inside a theater or without subtitles after being assured the opposite.  We found a vendor that had a TV/DVD set up so we could preview our purchases - ingenious, if only they had these in GUA.  All in all, we spent way too much time here, but it's nice to not really be on a schedule where that matters.  

In a task-oriented sense, Andy did receive a much needed haircut (long hair oddly adds about10 pounds to his face) and we got to practice drinking out of plastic bags without a straw.  Also, if I hadn't been temporarily paralyzed, I would've never encountered Southbridge, MA Big Bunny Market's sister supermarket in El Salvador and been able to share this exciting news with my little bro, Tyler, former Big Bunny employee.

Due to time restraints, Tim decided to head to Nicaragua a couple days ahead of us so he could make it to Costa Rica on time for his teaching commitment.  Andy's alarm woke me up at 6:30AM as he made sure to see Tim off.  Knowing how I am in the mornings, I said farewell the night before. :)  We'll see Tim later this month on our way south to Panama City, but alas, our tales will now be separate.  Tim's keeping a blog as well so check out his take on the last few months and his Quaker experience in the cloud forest of Monteverde teaching History.

Buena Suerte Timotao!!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: