New Glarus to Madison

Trip Start Sep 23, 2012
Trip End Sep 30, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Wisconsin
Monday, September 24, 2012

I got up at 8:00 and Larry and Derek got up about half an hour later.  We went down to breakfast which was very similar to breakfast in Bavaria:  meat, cheese, pastries, muesli, yogurt and fruit.  They had an apple bread from the local bakerei that was really good.  We packed up and checked out.  We went out front and took pictures of the Chalet Landhaus Inn and their two cows.  Then we walked back into New Glarus and I took pictures of a couple of more cows.  Then we headed up the hill on 6th street to the Swiss Historical Village and Museum.  We passed the old village school that is now apartments.  We were pleasantly surprised at the village and museum.  It was really well done and all the signs were interesting and informative.  We went to the Hall of History first where the entire history of the village is laid out with pictures, maps, journal entries and artifacts.  Over 200 people came from Glarus (Glah-roose') in Switzerland in 1845 because the textile industry there came to an end because of machines..  New Glarus (Glare-us) was chosen by two scouts who came ahead of the 200 pioneers.  They knew nothing of farming or cows or cheese.  But they learned and thrived.  From the Hall of History we toured the Settler's Log Cabin, the Bee House which was fascinating, the Pioneer Cabin and the Cheese Factory.  We saw a video in the Cheese Factory which showed how they made the cheese back in the day.  The video was shot right there in the Cheese Factory.  We also toured the School House, Blacksmith Shop, the Smoke House, the Sausage Shop, Farm Implements, Fire House, General Store/Collectibles, Print Shop, Log Church and Cemetery with headstones from the original settlers.  It took us 2 hours.  In the gift shop we bought a Roesti mix, a beeswax ornament, and a couple of knitted dishcloths. 

On the way back to the car we stopped at the Glarnerladen which was full of antiques and collectibles.  Derek bought a McEwen's Scottish Ale sign.  We walked by a welcome sign for the city and in front of it in the grass was cut a path and also a labyrinth.  When we got back to the car we headed for the New Glarus Brewery on a hill above the city.  Larry and Derek got Staghorn Octoberfest in pint beer glasses and I got a Sprecher's Root Beer.  We took the self-guided tour of the brewery drinking our drinks.  It was really interesting to see all the big tanks and pipes everywhere.  The room where the beer was bottled was fascinating.  We watched the bottle being filled, capped, labeled and packed.  When we finished Larry and Derek got a refill of their glasses with Fat Squirrel nut brown ale.  While they drank their beers we also had some crackers and cheese curds at a picnic table overlooking New Glarus.  When we finished we stopped at the gift shop and Derek got a T-shirt.  Then we went to the Beer Depot where they bought a case of beer - 10 different kinds, a four-pack of specialty beer and two big bottles of Raspberry Tart.  They didn't have Belgian Red so on the way out of town we checked out the grocery store - no luck.  The BP carryout beside our hotel had it so they got two big bottles.  We headed back into town to the bakerei but they didn't have any applebread left. We got 3 anice springerli cookies and 3 apricot pockets which we saved for later.

We reluctantly headed out of New Glarus at 2:09 only we thought it was 3:09 because we were looking at the car clock. It only took us about 45 minutes to get to our next stop - the University of Wisconsin-Madison. We parked in Garage 17 right beside Camp Randall Stadium. First we headed to Babcock Hall.  We went to the Babcock Hall Dairy Store for ice cream. I got Chocolate Turtle. Larry and Derek got Berry Alvarez named for the former football coach. It had pieces of blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry in it. Mine was chocolate ice cream with bits of dark chocolate, swirls of caramel and walnuts. Yum! Next we walked around the Stadium and went in at Bucky;s Locker Room which is the gift shop. They have an area with tables where you can get really close to the field and see the entire stadium. We took pictures of us do O-H and then I-O. Derek got a magnet for his fridge. We walked through Badger Alley, a hallway under the stands, where they have the whole history of the stadium. It was named after a Governor of Wisconsin and was a camp for injured soldiers during the Civil War. When we finished we found our way out and were right at the parking garage.

It took us about another 10 minutes to get downtown to our Hotel - The Best Western Inn on the Park right across from the Statehouse.  We had to valet park the car and take all our stuff to the room.  The room is great with 2 queen beds which Derek has already said are really comfy. Last night the matresses were rather hard. We rested for a few minutes and then headed across the street to the State House. Wow!! It is very beautiful.  The outside is made of very white stone so that it looks like the Capitol in Washington. The Dome is in the center and wings go off in four directions in the shape of a cross like +. Inside everything is made of different shades of marble. The four wings have high arches over the outer part that have windows that let in the light. There are four mosaics: Government, Legislation, Justice, and Liberty.  The dome was spectacular.   We saw the Congressional Chamber and the Senate. We were still looking around when they announced that it was closing. We may go back for a formal tour if we are up in time. We have to be in Chippewa Falls, Leinenkugel tour at 2:00. 

When we left there we walked to the Monoma Terrace over Monoma Lake.  It is an incredible place.  It is a big terrace at the edge of the lake where there is a cafe and garden.  It is a nice place to walk or sit and visit.  We saw a tour boat coming in from the lake.  All along the lake there is a biking/walking path.  There were alot of people walking, jogging, biking and fishing.  We walked up Martin Luther King Blvd. to Capitol Square and checked out The Old Fashioned for supper.  They have 52 beers on tap.  After we read the menu which was nothing special, we decided to try The Brocach (broke-a) Irish Pub.  Larry and Derek got Satisfaction Jacksin a Madison Beer.  It was a strong IPA (India Pale Ale).  I had a glass of Santi Moscato.  Larry had Bangers and Mash (sausages and mashed potatoes, and here is came with sliced apples and an apple glaze.  Derek and I had Shepherd's Pie.  It came in a large soup bowl with a handle and it was heaped with mashed potatoes on top and a piece of brown bread on the side.  There had to be about 1/2 of hamburger in with the gravy, peas, and carrots.  I couldn't finish mine, Larry ate most of what was left.  In the middle of the meal they dropped down a big screen for Monday Night Football - the Packers in Seattle. Now wonder we saw a guy with a cheesehead walk by!  After dinner we went back to the room, turned on the game, blogged, and went to bed. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: