Pinnacles, Pool, and Play

Trip Start Aug 31, 2012
Trip End Sep 10, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Washington
Sunday, September 2, 2012

We slept in today and didn't get to breakfast until 9:00. We had sausage, gravy and biscuits for breakfast.  We decided to go to Peshaskin Pinnacles State Park about 10 miles east of Leavenworth and hike a short trail, 1.5 miles round trip.  When we got there, there were very few signs.  We saw some people rock climbing and decided to go the other way on the loop trail.  We walked around the hill to the other side and then up a set of switchbacks to the top of that ridge.  Then we walked across and further up to the ridge where the pinnacles are.  We could see down into the valley covered with apple and pear orchards.  It was very brown and dry, a lot like Wyoming.  We got to the top and enjoyed the view for a while.  While we were hiking I got a text from my friend, Barb.  It was weird to be up on the top of a mountain and get a text message.  We went back down the front of the mountain.  It was even steeper than yesterday’s hike but it was shorter and easier because I didn’t have a waist pouch with 2 liters of water in it.  We were plenty thirsty when we got back down.  On the way back to Leavenworth we stopped at a fruit stand and got a couple of souvenirs

We were really hungry by now, almost 1:00.  So we went back to the motel to make sandwiches.  When we opened the fridge, everything was frozen, except the beers of course.  So we turned down the thermostat, left the stuff out to thaw and walked into town.  We went to the Munchen Haus for lunch.  We had to get in a line to get menus and to tell a waitress what we wanted.   She wrote it down on a slip of paper.  Then we stood in line to pay and get a pager for when our order was ready.  Erin went to find a table while we stayed in line to pay.  We all got a Big Boy Bratwurst, 1/3 of a pound.  Erin got German Potato Salad, the American kind, not the real German kartafelsalat.  I got a small pretzel.  Then we sat in the beer garden where you ordered your beers from another counter.  Erin and Larry had beer and I just had water.  The brats were big and good and you had about 10 varieties of mustard to choose from plus relishes, onions, and sauerkraut.  It was all very good and we were very hungry.  Larry and I decided to stay in town for a little while and see some of the shops.  I especially liked the tea shop that sold all kinds of loose tea.  I didn’t get any though as I have so much now.  Erin went back to the motel and went to the pool.  Larry and I walked back later and joined her.  They advertised a heated pool but it was cold.  It felt good to cool off though.  We all three took turns reading, getting back into the pool, sitting in the sun and in the shade.  I stayed in the shade because I burn so easily.   I also spent some time starting the blog for today.

We left the pool about 5:00.  We got changed and then tried to get on the Internet but it was down.  We decided to go back to Andreas Keller for supper.  So we walked into the downtown.  My calves and thighs are so soar from hiking that it is hard for me to walk on anything but level ground.  Thankfully there is mostly flat land in Leavenworth.  We got there before 6:00 and there was hardly anyone there.  We got seated right away and ordered shortly.  Larry got an Octoberfest beer and Erin got .  I had a 20 oz. Radler this time.  Erin and I ordered Kaesaspaetzle this time.  Larry got the Weisswurst with German potato salad and sauerkraut.  Our spaetzle was okay but even Erin said that mine is better.  Larry’s supper was great and he loved the house mustard so much that he bought a jar to take home.  We had a few minutes when we got back to call Derek.  We wanted to Skype but the Internet was still down.  Derek told us he didn’t have any rain today and so his sale went really well.  He got 2.9 inches of rain last night and more might be coming tonight. 

We left for the summer theater production of The Sound of Music when we finished talking to Derek.  The venue is an outdoor amphitheater just north of town.  We drove there and parked and picked up our tickets at the Will Call window.  We had to walk up to the amphitheater.  My legs were really hurting.  When we got there we were seated by the boy who played the youngest Von Trapp brother, Kurt.  The other children and the nuns in the cast were the ushers.  It was a good night for the production with not a cloud in the sky.  When we got to the theater they were renting seat cushions for a dollar so we each got one.  It started at 8:00 and it was starting to get dark.  The first half went by quickly but wasn’t over until 9:20.  The intermission was just long enough.  The second half was not over until 10:40.  It was a great production for such a small town.  We headed back to the motel and went to bed. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Toni on

Ah, traveling again. Enjoy yourselves...For some reason I get real hungry whenever you start traveling. I think I will have to make a stop at Schmidt's Sausage House soon.... :)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: