SOBE, South Beach

Trip Start Feb 18, 2012
Trip End Feb 27, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Florida
Sunday, February 26, 2012

We had no choice but to get up about 7:30 this morning as the PA started announcing that those who wanted to walk their luggage off the boat could not go ashore. We got dressed and went for our last breakfast on board.  Then we went and finished packing.  When we finished they announced that deboarding was on hold because the terminal was too crowded.  We waited until after 9:00 and then we went to deck 7 and got in line.  It wasn't long until we were getting off the boat but the wait in the terminal was long.  It was spitting rain and it was overcast. 

We got a taxi and headed to South Beach.  Our hotel the Nassau Suites is just a block off of Ocean Drive.  They let us check in early so we dropped off our luggage and then went to walk down Ocean Drive. There was a Wine and Food Festival going on but all the tickets were sold out.   This is the Art Deco District so there were lots of buildings to photograph.  We walked down the street for quite awhile then turned back to eat at Mango’s Tropical Café.  Derek had the Cubano sandwich, Erin had a grilled chicken sandwich with pesto sauce, Larry had hamburger sliders and I crab cake sliders.  The food was really good.

When we finished eating we walked over to the beach and walked south to South Point Park.  It was really windy but the sun had finally come out. There weren’t many people on the beach or in the water but there were some people way out who were using a parasail attached to a surf board and they were really moving across the water.  Some people were flying kites.   We walked around the end of South Point and then back up the other side and crossed back over to Ocean Drive at First Street.  We walked up Ocean Drive for a while then found a bench in the shade to sit and watch.  We saw beach volleyball being played.  There were people travelling up and down the side walk on rented bikes, segways, roller blades, scooters, skateboards, baby strollers etc.  One of the strollers had a dog in it.  We thought that was hilarious.   We people watched for a long time then headed to the Irish Pub to watch the Ohio State vs Wisconsin game.  The pub was called The Playright Irish Pub.  Unfortunately, they lost, again.  We went back to the hotel and Derek, Erin and I got on our computers and Larry took a shower.  While we were on our computers Derek found a Cuban Restaurant that is reasonable and just a block away.

So we went to Eva’s Bistro for supper.  We decided to get two appetizers.  One was a regular sized appetizer of a tamale, fried plantains, potato pancake like things, and fried ground pork.  The other appetizer was a table sized portion on a lazy susan.  It had more of the potato pancake type things, sweet potato fries, fried green beans, and sample of three sandwiches: a cubano sandwich, chicken with pesto, and pork.  Everything was delicious and just right.  Larry and Derek had El Presidente beers and I had a Pina Colada.  Erin stuck with water.  For dessert we all had Key Lime Pie with vanilla ice cream.  It was delicious, all of it.  I came back to the room early and we are planning on going to walk for a bit on Ocean Drive to see it at night.  Larry, Derek and I are due to arrive back in Columbus tomorrow at 12:45.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: