A Perfect Day

Trip Start Oct 15, 2011
Trip End Oct 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , South Carolina
Sunday, October 23, 2011

I got up at 7:45 and had a shower. Larry and Derek got up when I finished.  We went to breakfast at 8:30 and it was nothing special.  It was store bought muffins, bread, bagels, packaged oatmeal and other cereal, yogurt and bananas.  We think this was because the owner Joanne was not here this weekend.  We read until it was time to leave at 9:30.  We met Pat and Regina at Oconee Station Cove Falls Trail.  We hiked back in about a half mile on an easy trail and came to the falls.  The sun was shining on the falls and they were very beautiful.  We took lots of pictures of the falls and each other and of course Mica and Breeze.  The dogs were very well behaved on the trails.

When we left from the falls hike, we went to Regina and Pat's for lunch.  We had leftover pulled pork sandwiches with cole slaw, even better the second time.  We had chips and salsa and potato chips and dip and fruit salad.  We sat around the table and talked for awhile before we prepared to go out on their pontoon boat on the lake.  Derek went with Pat to uncover the boat.  Regina, Larry and I followed a little later with the dogs.  What a great afternoon to be out on the lake.  The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and it was a little cool but still pleasant.  We headed south first on the lake to see where they used to live and this castle/house that is being built.  As we headed north we stopped at one of the many small islands in the lake (an island that they consider their own) where we beached the boat and got out.  The dogs were so entertaining swimming out to fetch water toys.  We walked almost all the way around the island as it was pretty small but had to go back around as it was impassible back to the start.  The whole time we had to keep our eyes on the dogs who were in and out of the water constantly and then providing a little shower to anyone nearby as they shook the water off themselves.  Pat put a doggie ramp into the boat for the dogs and when they came on board they didn’t leave one seat dry.  They were all over the place, shaking off water and getting us wet.  It was comical to watch them.  They finally settled down and Regina and Pat had enough towels to dry the seats and work on getting the dogs dry as well. 

We went even further north on the lake and went under a bridge to go to what Pat called the "hot hole."  It is the place where there are three nuclear reactors on the edge of the lake and where warm water from the cooling process is put back into the lake.  Pat said it is a great place to fish.  Pat joked that if there was ever an accident at the nuclear plant, that it would be “goodbye” for them as they live really close to it.  We headed back down to dock but went by where they have a dock for their boat which never leaves the water except for maintenance.  The lake never freezes over down here.

When we got back we were all tired and just sat and talked and rested for a little bit.  Then we all piled in our car and drove to Clemson which is only about 9 miles from their house.  We didn’t stay in Clemson because it was a home football game yesterday.  We drove past the stadium at a distance and then went to the South Carolina Arboretum.  It was huge and still had a lot of flowering plants and trees.  We walked around for about 45 minutes and saw the caboose that was donated, a log house that was moved there to preserve it, a pond with ducks and geese, an amphitheatre, the cadet memorial (Clemson was originally a military school), and we walked through a grove of camellias, some of which were still blooming.  The encore azaleas were blooming again.  There was a lot more to see but we decided it was time for supper.  So we drove to College Street, the strip where the students hang out.  On the way we passed really close to the stadium where we could see the Death Valley Rock that they touch for luck before each game.  Then we parked on College Street and walked to see the building with the clock tower which is a classic view of the Clemson Campus.  Derek chose our supper destination, The Burger Joint.  All the bars were closed as there are no liquor sales on Sunday.  The burgers were great.  Larry, Derek and I got the Clemson Burger which you can only get in Clemson, of course.  Regina had a turkey burger and Pat got the Southwestern.  To complement the burgers, Regina and Larry got sweet potato fries while everyone else got regular fries.  They were delicious and just the right size to not feel stuffed when we were finished.  Derek made a great choice.

When we got back to Pat and Regina’s they began the routine of feeding the critters.  All of a sudden we heard an exclamation from Regina that there was blood everywhere in the dog room.  They figured out that Breeze, who is just seven months old, was in heat.  They didn’t have any doggie pads for her so they put her in a doggie diaper.  When we left they were planning to spend the night playing ball with Breeze to distract her from the diaper.  Pat and Regina graciously gave us a perfect day.  Thanks!

 We got back to our Dogwood Room in Magnolia Manor about nine o’clock and still didn’t have internet.  Derek read, Larry watched football and I wrote the blog for today.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: