Galway to Clifden

Trip Start Jul 16, 2011
Trip End Jul 31, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Ireland  , Western Ireland,
Wednesday, July 27, 2011

We got up at 8:30 and had breakfast at 9:00. We finished packing and were on the road by 9:50.  We headed to the coast road and were on it about 2k when the gas light went on.  We needed gas and knew there wouldn't be any on the coast road, so we turned around and went back to Lisdoonvarna.  It took us a while but we found a station and filled up.  The coast road is a pretty drive but the clouds and mist were back this morning, so it wasn’t the greatest.  We stopped at Black Head for the view. 

We drove into Galway and there was a lot of traffic because it is Horse Race Week.  We finally got to the center of town and found a parking garage.  We walked down to the river to see the Spanish Arch which wasn’t that impressive.  We also saw lots of swans on the river.  We walked into the shopping district where no cars are allowed.  In addition to many places to eat and shop, there were street performers.  We saw a man all painted in silver and sitting like he was a statue.  There was a man doing a sand sculpture of a dog lying down.  There were musicians and singers, one memorable one was a little boy about 10 who could really sing,.  We walked to Eyre Square and saw the flags of the 14 families that founded Galway.  There was also a sculpture there.  It was really crowded with people waiting to get on buses for the race today.  There were women all dressed up with all kinds of hats, a tradition at races in Great Britain and Ireland.  We also stopped to look at St. Nicholas Church.

We did a little shopping but I didn’t buy anything.  Erin got a one cup tea pot that sits on a cup and saucer that is decorated with sheep.  We had one like that at Pax House and she liked it.  After we walked through the shopping district we headed back down the street and stopped at The Quays for a drink.  Erin had a glass of Guinness and I had a glass of water.  We stopped there because Rick Steves recommended it.  It was very different with rooms on different levels but all open to each other.  It was a very old building.  For lunch we went to McDonagh’s Fish and Chips and split an order.  Another Rick recommendation.  It was fast food but excellent.  After lunch we walked back to the parking garage and figured out the easiest route out of town.  It may have been the easiest but the streets were slow because of lots of traffic.  We drove all the way to Clifden without stopping.  This area has more soil and fewer rocks, so not so many stone fences.  It is also dotted with thousands of lakes, big and small.  If it had been clearer, it would have been a prettier drive.

We arrived at Sea Mist House about 4:45.  Our room is on the 3rd floor and has two skylights for windows.  Luckily they are the kind of skylight that open to let fresh air in.  Our room is large and has three single beds in it.  Shela, the owner, told us her Wifi is down because she needs a new modem.  We dropped off our luggage and I tried to nap but couldn’t because I was coughing.  I went across the street to the Super Mart but they didn’t have cough drops.  When I got back we walked the one block to the square and scoped out the town for places to eat and hear music.  We found a pharmacy and I got some Ricola cough drops.  We decided to have toasted sandwiches at Lowry’s Pub.  They were very good.

After eating we went back to Sea Mist House and did some blogging and resting.  At 8:00 we went to hear some music at The Griffin.  There was an acoustic guitar, an acoustic bass, and a young man who played the small accordion and a 100 year old precursor to it.  He is the regional champion on this old accordion.  They were very good.  The two on guitar sang and both had great voices.  They sang ballads, funny songs and played jigs.  They  changed it up frequently which made it even more enjoyable.  We stayed until 10:15 when we moved on to E.J. Kings where we heard a young man with guitar.  He had a more Irish throaty sound to his singing and sang some of the same songs we heard at the Griffin.   But at Kings we had Wifi and Erin could make reservations for us to go out to Inishmore and check the weather etc.  Erin has an App called Four Square where she can check in at all the places we go and earn badges.  So she checked in there too.  We left about 11:00 and went back to go to bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Janet on

Linda, what an unbelieveable Irish experience! Am so happy for you and your daughter. Will you recognize USA when you return???!!!
Many blessings and safety and peace everyday!

Betty Amnah on

hey Linda,
it sure looks like you guys are having an awesome time! Be safe and ENJOY!!!!!!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: