Sunday Roast and Back to London

Trip Start Jul 20, 2014
Trip End Aug 05, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Rita and Tony's House in Ashford Common

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Sunday, August 3, 2014

We got up at 8:30 and had breakfast in our room: tea, biscuits and a granola bar. Then we went for a walk along the River Cam.  It was lined with Canal Boats and Rowing Clubs.  We saw several single sculls and one double scull.  As we were returning there were larger sculls being readied to put in.  We walked along under several bridges and got as far as Jesus Green where there was a lock and another bridge.  It was here that we turned around and headed back to the hotel taking a different route back having to go through a subway under the street to do so.  We had walked about an hour. 

When we returned we gathered our luggage and checked out and waited to be picked up at 10:30.  It wasn't long until Jake arrived and took us back to Toft where Max had used the cushion on the porch furniture to set up a dinosaur pirate ship.  He has a great imagination.  Jim and Max went to the pet store to get feed for the chickens while the rest of us had a cup of tea.  Jake was playing the banjo and concertina.  He is getting quite good on the banjo. 

We went to the Blue Lion in Hardwick just a couple of miles away.  We decided to eat outside on the patio.  Larry and I got the roast beef with roasted potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, Yorkshire pudding and gravy.  It was delicious.  For pudding we had berry crumble with custard.  While we were waiting on our food, Max fell in the play area and cut his lip and scratched his chin.  He is very active and quite fearless.  When we returned we had a cuppa tea while Jake put some slides of my mom in Spain with Jane on a memory stick so I could put the pictures on my computer.

We left Toft about 3:45 and headed south to London.  For a Sunday during school break the traffic was not too bad going down, but it looked really busy for Jane's return on the M25, the ring road around London.  We arrived at Rita and Tony’s about 5:20 and had a short visit before Jane headed back.  Jane had brought her photo album and Rita helped her identify some of the children at the 1971 Family Gathering for our Gran’s 80th birthday.  Of course we had a cuppa tea and some of Tony’s fruit cake.

After Jane left we had some time to relax and talk and watch the telly, the closing ceremonies of the Commonwealth Games.  It was after 8:00 when we had a light supper of bread, cheese, pate, tomatoes, cucumbers and fruit.  We watched some more telly and then went to bed.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: