Up to the Mountain, Down to the Beach Again

Trip Start Apr 12, 2014
Trip End Apr 27, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Akialoa Cottage

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Friday, April 25, 2014

We got up at 7:00 this morning and left for the mountain before 8:00.  We got up to Kalalau Lookout shortly after 8:30.  On the way up we saw the Erckel's Francolin a grouse'like bird and life bird for us.  It was along the highway and we saw seven of them altogether by the end of the day.  When we got to Kalalau we were treated to a wonderful view of the NaPali Coast.  We could see the last beach at the end of the 12 mile Kalalau Trail.  We got to the Pu'u a Kila Lookout before 9:00 and we could see the coast again.  It wasn't long before the clouds rolled in and it began to mist.  We decided not to hike again.  So we drove back down to the museum to hike the nature trail again.  This time I went into the museum and got the guide.  We learned about many native and non-native trees and plants.  At the end of the nature trail there were lots of conifers from all over the world.  As we were looking at the conifers, Derek saw a little trail up the hill, so he went up and saw that there were some pretty flowers across the road, down a dirt road that went to the YWCA Camp.  The flowers he saw were wild Fuschias which are scarlet.  We started walking down the road finding more flowers and looking for birds.  We found lots of gorgeous flowers and got two more life birds: the Elepaio and the Japanese Bush Warbler.  We heard the Bush Warbler for a long time but couldn't spot it until Derek saw one fly out and sit on a bare branch. 

Before we knew it, it was time for lunch, so we headed back to the cottage.  While we were having lunch we decided we would go back to Salt Pond Beach Park.  Larry and Derek went swimming and snorkeling and I stayed on the beach and read my book.  We all enjoyed our time on the beach.  When we got back to the cottage we relaxed until supper time.  We decided to check out the St. Theresa School Carnival just down the road.  We left a little after 6:00 and went in and checked it out.  It was definitely for kids, so we decided to eat at the Kauai Island Brewery.  It took us a little while to get there but we got a table right away.  Derek and I got the grilled ahi with pineapple/tomato salsa, rice and veggies.  Larry got the grilled macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi with rice and veggies.  Our waiter brought us soy sauce and suggested we try it on our rice and then add pepper.  It was delicious!  Larry and Derek tried their NaPali Pale Ale in a pitcher.  While we were having supper two of the televisions had the Merrie Monarch Festival on live.  It is a hula competition with groups from Hawaii and California.  When we got back to the cottage we turned it on our TV while we blogged and relaxed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: