Waterfalls and Beaches

Trip Start Apr 12, 2014
Trip End Apr 27, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Waipouli Beach Resort Kapaa
Read my review - 5/5 stars

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Monday, April 14, 2014

We all got up about 6:00 and had a couple of hours to read and eat breakfast and decide what to do today.  We decided we would head south this morning to see a couple of waterfalls.  Just south of Kapa'a (Kuh-pah-hah) we headed inland on Kuamo'o Road.  We came to Poli'ahu a heiau or Hawaiian temple.  Rock walls outlined the footprint of the temple.  It sat overlooking the Wailua (why-loo-ah) River.  There was a nice overlook there on a cliff above the river.  A couple who are driving the same car as us told us about the eco boost feature that saves gas.  That is good because gas is $4.79 a gallon. 

Our next stop was Opaeka'a Falls Lookout.  The falls are 151 feet tall and they were pretty far away.  They flow all year long as Kauai is the place on earth that receives the most rainfall of anywhere.  Early this morning all the mountains were covered with clouds and it was raining up there.  Across the street was another lookout with great views of the Wailua River.  We followed the road until we came to the Keahua Arboretum.  We crossed over a stream actually driving through the shallow water.  Here the road was unpaved.  We parked and got out to see the Rainbow Eucalyptus trees.  When they shed their bark they leave bright green streaks that weather to different shades of red and orange.  Other than those trees there wasn't much to see so we headed back to the main road.  We saw a Red-crested cardinal sitting on the same fence post on the way in and on the way out.

Once we were back on Kuhio (coo-he-o) Highway, we headed south  to Ma'alo Road which took us northwest to Wailua Falls.  Along the way we passed a lot of flatter ground that appeared to be fields that are no longer used.  There was a wait to get a parking place so Larry dropped Derek and me off while he waited.  There are two trails down to the bottom of the falls but they are not maintained and if you go you could get fined,  So we just looked at the falls from the overlook.  Larry joined us before long.  We got some pictures and headed back to the car.  There was a woman there selling banana bread and mango/coconut bread.  We got some of the latter for our supper dessert.  She also had a ukelele.  It was the same one we had seen as Costco for $80 bucks.  She played it a little and it sounded pretty good.  I may have to get one and learn to play it.  When we left there we headed back to the condo for lunch: turkey and muenster on Hawaiian bread with Maui Style potato chips, yum

We headed north on Kuhio Highway and pulled over at a Lookout just south of Kealia Beach.  You could see all the way back to Kapa'a and the waves were rolling in.  The bike path went right below us.  We hope to ride it later this week.  We drove all the way to Kilauea (kill-ah-WAY-ah) and got off at Kilauea Road to Lighthouse Road.  Even though we knew the National Wildlife Refuge was closed, we wanted to check it out.  When we got to the end of the road we were at the top of a cliff with a view of Kilauea Lighthouse and lots of sea birds.  We saw a Laysan albatross, red-footed boobies, red-tailed tropicbirds, and nene, the Hawaiian goose and state bird.  It was a picture postcard view.  We stayed for quite a while and will go back when Erin is with us to visit the Refuge.  When we left we headed west on the highway and turned off at Kalihiwai Road and went to Kalihiwai Beach which would have been the perfect place to swim.  There were some of locals there enjoying the surf and the sand.  We came back the way we came and turned off on a dirt road that lead to the public access for Secret Beach.  We parked our car and started walking to the beach.  We came to a place on the path where we could see the beach far below us down a very steep path.  We debated about going down but the prospect of having to hike back out up that steep path discouraged us.  We could see the Kilauea Lighthouse from the path.

So we headed back, got in the car and  headed back out to the highway.  We decided on the way back to take Ko'olau Road which is the old highway.  It was very curvy and narrow with lots of houses along it.  When we returned to the highway we headed back  to Kapa'a.  On the edge of town we stopped at Kauai Products Fair to have a look around.  I found some turtles to bring home for my Wild Wyoming Women friends.  I also found a mumu to wear to the luau later this week.  It will make a nice coverup for going to the pool this summer too.

When we got back we changed our clothes and got on our swimming suits.  It said it was 82* in Kapa'a and it was sunny.  So we went down to the pool and got in at the farthest end of the lazy river.  It was cold at first but we got used to it quickly.  We went by waterfalls and one of them hid a cave where you could go in and sit.  We followed the river all the way to where the water slides came into the big pool.  We went down one of them.  It was fun but doesn't compare the Atlantis in Nassau where Erin and I went in December.  Then we got out of the pool and into the adults only whirlpool.  It was nice and warm and had a sandy bottom.  I got out before Larry and Derek and swam all the way to the other end.  I sat and read my book until they joined me.  Larry stayed longer to enjoy the sun.  Derek and I came back upstairs and had showers.  Then I started supper.  I had to clean and cut up the Brussels sprouts to make roasted sprouts.  It was then that I realized we didn't have any olive oil to drizzle them with.  So Larry and Derek walked across to Safeway to get them.  It took a long time because they got a Safeway card so we could get the discount.  They saved $4 just on the olive oil.  Of course, they brought more home than just olive oil, more beer and some Aloha Strawberry Guava (soda).  While supper was in the oven, sprouts and dill buttered salmon, I started my blog. 

It wasn't long and we were eating delicious salmon and roasted Brussels sprouts.  After cleaning up from supper we relaxed and put off eating our mango/coconut bread until later.  We didn't know how much later when we went out to the pool to see the full moon.  We met some people from Michigan who told us that there was a total eclipse tonight.  It started shortly after we got out there.  Larry went back and got our binoculars.  We pulled up lounge chairs and proceeded to watch the eclipse between the clouds that covered it from time to time.  It was incredibly beautiful.  It took an hour for the moon to be completely covered.  By then it was after nine and the total eclipse was to last 90 minutes.  The moon was orange red during the total eclipse.  We came in as we didn't want to stay up to watch the moon reappear at 10:30+.  So we went back to our condo, had our mango/coconut bread, finished the blog and shortly went to bed.

Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: